Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Advanced

Mobile Company / Stanley Steamer / Locomobile fans

Posted by WhiteCross 
Mobile Company / Stanley Steamer / Locomobile fans
April 27, 2020 03:12PM
Howdy!

I just acquired a medal that I thought might be of interest to steam automobile fans.

This is the 1901 Pan American Exhibition gold medal, awarded to The Mobile Company of America. The Pan-American Exhibition was a massive world's fair held in New York in 1901. Over 8,000,000 people visited the fair between May and November of 1901. It had the dubious honor of being where the President McKinley was assassinated on September 6th at the fair's Temple of Music.

The medal was designed by renowned American sculptor Hermon MacNeil, who had previously designed the United States standing liberty quarter. The medals were issued in bronze, silver, gilt (gold covered bronze), and a very few solid gold medals. They measure about 2.5" across and are considered by many collectors to be one of the finest medals of this era. Very few examples survive in any metal, perhaps as few as a dozen examples in gilt.

It's my understanding that the waters get a little muddy during this period of time, where Mobile, the Stanleys, and Locomobile all came from the same cluster of inventors and businessmen and their collaborations and rivalries. So while the medal was awarded to "Mobile", it appears that Locomobile took the credit, at least in the June 6, 1903 issue of The Automobile.

Of course I could be entirely wrong about who The Mobile Company of America on the medal was, in which case I'd love to be corrected. Thanks for looking!

Re: Mobile Company / Stanley Steamer / Locomobile fans
April 27, 2020 06:12PM
X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2020 05:28AM by IronChief.
April 28, 2020 02:19PM
IronChief Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thats a cool piece. My guess is they all got one
> of those for attending. We get a medallion like
> that mounted on an porcelain license plate with
> our name on it at the concours d' elegance shows.
>

That's some great history, IronChief! I really appreciate the insight.

These weren't attendance medals. They are awards handed out on merit. About 1,000 of each in bronze, silver, and gold were produced, the vast majority made by Gorham. They are inscribed with the winner's name on the front below the striding figure. This gilt example is the final piece in my set: I acquired the bronze about 3 years ago and the silver in June of 2017.

For the numistmatists, these are Baxter-106, Lavin-TM103. This gilt specimen is graded MS63 by NGC, with a population of 6 with 3 higher. With surviving numbers so low, it's been proposed that many pieces didn't survive the great depression or the metal drives of the 1st and 2nd world wars.
April 29, 2020 03:02PM
X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2020 05:28AM by IronChief.
April 30, 2020 02:51PM
IronChief Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> These were given to the exhibitors there? A
> thousand of each type, is 3000 medals, or is this
> over a period of years? You have located 3 of
> them, not all to Mobile? Yeah, I would think those
> would be really rare. That is the nice thing about
> our hobby in this era, often times when a good
> item is found, very few people including the
> seller even knows what it is or its significance.
>

These were given to the exhibitors who won their respective categories. About 5,000 exhibitors from around the world were selected to attend. From those, 887 gold medals were awarded, 1159 silver, and 1147 bronze. Another 470 exhibitors were awarded honorable mentions. A census of extant gold medals shows as few as a dozen survive. One example is at the Met in NY, another at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts.

My bronze was awarded to A.W. Thompson, an ethnologist from Ohio who exhibited "Prehistoric Implements"
My silver was awarded to a William Heart, a furrier from New York City.

And the gold awarded to Mobile Co. Here's the exhibitor list with Mobile shown within the "Transportation" group inside the "Machinery and Transportation" Exhibit:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2020 02:53PM by WhiteCross.

May 03, 2020 06:31PM
X

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2020 05:29AM by IronChief.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All files from this thread

File Name File Size   Posted by Date  
medal1.jpg 378 KB open | download WhiteCross 04/27/2020 Read message
medal2.jpg 363.8 KB open | download WhiteCross 04/27/2020 Read message
TheAutomobile060603circled.jpg 286.6 KB open | download WhiteCross 04/27/2020 Read message
PanAm Catalog Gilt.png 151.3 KB open | download WhiteCross 04/30/2020 Read message