Steam ejector/injector Tesla turbine idea.
September 15, 2014 03:52PM
Something I have thought about is the Tesla turbine works well with a liquid. There tests showing it to be vary efficient. (Note not a heat engine in this case. It's basically a fluid coupling). The efficiency is fluid flow energy to shaft energy in the 90+% efficiency range. Why the make a good sewage pump.

Anyway what if an steam ejector/injector were used to drive water through a Tesla Water turbine? How efficient is an ejector/injector. Does any body know of information on ejector or injector efficiency?
Re: Steam ejector/injector Tesla turbine idea.
September 15, 2014 07:07PM
Steam ejector efficiency is not the greatest thing in the world. As I recall, it is typically somewhere around the 30 to 40 percent range in most installations.

Any number of factors can affect efficiency, for instance, the discharge nozzle shape, the shape and number of driving nozzles, smoothness of admission passage, use of discharge nozzle boundary layer control and so on. Probably the most important factor is the driving steam pressure which should not exceed the minimum pressure needed to produce critical velocity. (For those unfamiliar with the term, steam expanded in a jet will not travel faster than the speed of sound in steam of that temperature and press because the transonic drag rise prevents exceeding Mach 1). The highest efficiency is going to usually be found at whatever minimum driving pressure will produce critical velocity, exceed that pressure and the steam energy yields no more work while if you go below it the pumping effectiveness drops with the loss of velocity.

I started to write the above then got called away. I remembered a paper on my computer and I have attached it below.

Ken
Attachments:
open | download - entropy-14-00599.pdf (359.8 KB)
September 16, 2014 10:25AM
Truthfully I didn't think injector efficiency would be even close to 30%. That is better then most piston engines achieve.. But they do have to have some efficiency to the work as a boiler feed pump.

It might work as an exhaust turbine The steam would be condensed in the injector and the turbine could drive a cooling radiator fan.

Just a crazy idea. But in all actuality it just might be how Tesla made his steam Tesla turbine work.

What I have figured is that most of the heat is transferred to the water.

Ok I looked over that paper and the efficiency isn't thermal efficiency. It is the driving flow energy to the output flow energy. The flow energies are initial energy. But that helps a lot in figuring thermal efficiency from steam driving an ejector.

Andy
October 21, 2014 02:23PM
Andy, there are actually companies that have been using and selling tesla turbine pumps for a long time. I don't remember the url but you can google it. They do well for sewer and waste treatment as they don't clog like the conventional pumps. I was suprised when I came across this information ie. commercially used tesla.
November 08, 2014 10:27AM
I use a steam ejector on my boat as a bilge pump. It pumps very fast and uses very little steam. Always picks up without showing any steam output.
Rolly

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login