OTHER LINKS - ENERGY
March 15, 2012 03:09PM
A new process for making hydrogen on demand fuel. The links are at the website. [steamlinks.6te.net] Thanks, Earl
Re: OTHER LINKS - ENERGY
March 15, 2012 03:43PM
Interesting read but the law of conservation of energy still holds true. You can't get more out than you put in. In this case after reading one of their links on how the process works..[www.phillipscompany.4t.com]
The process consumes aluminum in the making of the hydrogen. And making aluminum is a very energy intensive process. As an on demand process this procedure for making hydrogen might have its place. As a replacement for hydrocarbon fuel and/or nuclear I just don't see it.
Thanks for posting.

SteveW
March 15, 2012 04:59PM
If it sounds too good to be true it probably is!

If the process were as good as claimed surely it would be patented, researched and tested by universities/ government/industry/military and not need to be promoted by this simple advertising for partners and backers.
It sounds great but .......?

Mike
March 15, 2012 06:04PM
It sounds a lot like the way we use to produce hydrogen. But we also got a lot of water vapor. We use NaOH in a water soloution and droped in Al. The reaction produced hydrogen gas. We had to cool and clean the gas to get pure hydrogen. We filled baloons and with it. A timed fuse made for a great pyro display. There were quite a few "UFO explosion reports". The 10 cent baloons held about 3 cubic feet or so and made a 15 foot fire ball. Brings back memory's of old high school days.
March 16, 2012 12:05PM
THE OTHER LINKS - ENERGY PAGE WAS REMOVED FROM MY WEBSITE. I FOUND THAT THIS IS NOT THE FAMOUS PHILLIPS PETROLEUM COMPANY. THE TECHNOLOGY COULD BE QUESTIONABLE???????? REGARDS, EARL
March 16, 2012 02:53PM
Andy,

You are a piker. My friend and I used those 13 foot war surplus weather balloons, $1.00 each at the surplus store.
The blast was awe inspiring, especially with half a stick of dynamite taped to the string and a LONG fuse.

Jim
March 16, 2012 09:20PM
We only used teeny little balloons, BUT the library was directly above the chem lab. Float the balloon to the ceiling, light with a match on a stick, wait for old spinster librarian to come down and throw hissy fit..... We may have discovered a potent source of energy, the hydrogen explosion was minimal, but that librarian could have lit up a city block.
March 26, 2012 05:58AM
Pure Hydrogen in a balloon is far from a perfict mixture. Generates an expanding flame front that isn't vary hot. Won't even scorch your wiskers if you are cought in the flame fromt. But makes for huge fire balls. Jim, same balloon filed with acetylene oxygen does about the same as a half stick of dynamite. But you don't get the large display fire ball. We set a acetylene oxygen tourch to a perfict flame, snufed it out and filled balloons with it. We were just having fun. It was a laugh reading about the exploading UFO sightings.

At any rate generating hydrogen using this type of reaction would not be an economical.
March 26, 2012 07:31AM
Actually we used natural gas from the hose on our aluminum furnace for making castings. The ball of fire was monstrous and had the cops running all over the place, seems we let them go in one of the flight paths of the airport. Scared hell out of the pilots.
Another friend did try that acetylene oxygen trick just like you said, blew one of his eardrums out too. It's a wonder some of us grew up.
Jim
March 26, 2012 12:29PM
One of my many early experiments with explosives blew up in my face in my bedroom at home when I was growing up. It was a big balloon filled with acetylene, so there was no real force to it, and therefore no real damage--except my eyebrows, lashes and my afro-it was reduced to a tightly drawn mass around my head-like a hairnet!!

You're right--sometimes I wonder how we ever made past the teens....

Chuk
March 27, 2012 06:41AM
We used to shoot tennis balls with pipes capped on the bottom, one hole at the bottom and another mid point through with a nail in it. The oxy/acetylene perfect flame snuff bit. Sometimes the ball just shreaded. Then one day I got the idea that an old drive shaft from a pontiac grand prix would make a good cannon. Probably 4" x 60". Would count in seconds the fill time. Usually 5. Then tried a tripple dose. The shock wave from the expanding drive shaft was so intense it knocked me back very hard. Seemed I lost conciousness or something brief. The boom was loud enough our black lab dog, inside the house, became gun shy from that point on. Felt terrible. Indeed lucky to make it through the teens. -Keith
March 27, 2012 09:22AM
We were all bad boys - our trick was to set a bicycle pump on end, handle upwards with the locating nut loose, put a little ether in the pump then drop a rock on the end of the handle. This taught us a little about compression ignition and a lot about broken window glass. smiling bouncing smiley
Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2012 09:23AM by Mike Clark.
March 27, 2012 10:28AM
hot smileyOne day after school I was at my buddy's house, there was a trash fire going in the barbecue pit out back, it was pretty hot. We found a half-full can of hairspray and dropped it the fire. Luckily for us we were pretty sure something was going to happen so we moved away.

When the can went off it completely destroyed the brick barbecue, we were lucky to avoid getting hit with pieces of brick.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2012 10:29AM by Bill Hinote.
March 27, 2012 01:34PM
Being a solid fuel enthusiast my story is different.

Growing up on a farm I had access to sodium chlorate and made various 'bangs' from it. I progressed to making rockets from plastic shampoo bottles. One had too fine a mixture and we ended up pulling plastic shards out of my friends face.

The accident slowed us down a little but I stopped altogether after a series of fake bomb warnings at our school, this was during the mainland bombing campain of the Seventies and folks were a bit more sensitive about such things!
March 27, 2012 04:30PM
NaClO3 can make a parful explosive. KClO3 combined with S used to be used in Caps. NaClO3 (sodium chlorate) wont make a precussion cap loke KClO3 (potassium chlorate) but either one combined with S (Sulfur) and NaOH (sodium hydroxide) will make a very powerful explosive. My friend blew his thumb off mixing KCLO3 + S + NaOH. We had taken a wooden morter and petzel from another friends house. After use we cleared it out by throwing a match in it. The inside was carboniznized from repeated burnings. We usually used a plastic spoon. It was usually me or Louie making this one. This was the first time Howard was making it. He was the chem major in our group. He unfortunately used an aluminum scoup and when it touched the cobonized side the mix went off.

In later expernemts I found it took a small curent through the mix to set it off. They fixed up Howard sowing his thumb on. The mix was tested by an explosive expert that Howard shared a room with while in the hospital after surgery on his hand. The results was that we had created an explosive half as powerful as nitroglycerin. it produced equal amounts of gas and detonated at 1/2 half the burn rate. Detonation rate feet/second is tested by mesuring the burn rate of a length of the substance. But when set of by electrical current the detonation rate is more like 186000 miles / second. I figure the acceent was caused by internal curent from a battery that was formed by the carbon, aluminum and caustic soda (NaOH).

Were all lucky we lived through our child hood.
April 04, 2012 02:07AM
Years of O2+Assetline weather balloons, building black powder bombs, tossing stupid stuff into the fire, auto flares sent floating away into the night. Serious consideration was given to pouring a few cups of gasoline into the huge steel tank siting at the gas station being built at the corner (in this city) and using the last of the red mail-order fuse.
All culminated when a neighbor, who worked for Whittaker-Bermite and gave us a illumination mortar round.
"No children were hurt in the performance"
December 20, 2012 05:54AM
it's a very good process. Thanks for sharing it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login