Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Advanced

A few thoughts on existing and potential energy sources.

Posted by Scott Finegan 
Re: A few thoughts on existing and potential energy sources.
October 29, 2010 11:41PM
Biofuel for your vehicle?

From the Guardian

US navy completes successful test on boat powered by algae
[www.guardian.co.uk]

Excerpt
... "In theory, biofuels can be produced wherever the raw materials are available, possibly even in the combat zone. However, Cullom admitted that, as of today, algae-based fuels are no bargain. The current cost of a gallon of algae-diesel mix is $424 a gallon. "Any time you are an early adopter, it's not going to be $3 a gallon," he said."

The early versions of algae-based fuels had a short shelf life, with the fuel separating in the tank, sprouting, or even corroding engines. "They had some not very good characteristics at the end of the day," he admitted. " [My Bold]
October 30, 2010 12:07AM
Environmentally Friendly

Desert tortoise gets fast-tracked to the curb
[wattsupwiththat.com]

Excerpt
"... cute desert tortoise enjoying the sun and flowers needs to move in order to make way for a new kind of flora in the Mojave desert: very environmentally friendly solar panel trees. "

So the rush is on to start building, and get financing guarantees, before the stimulus runs out. All kinds of incentives, plus on Federal Land.

If you read the articles, you learn these are Sterling powered generators.
November 08, 2010 07:36AM
This is from enviromental groups

Biofuel worse for climate than fossil fuel - study

[uk.reuters.com]

Excerpt
"By Pete Harrison BRUSSELS (Reuters) - European plans to promote biofuels will drive farmers to convert 69,000 square km of wild land into fields and plantations, depriving the poor of food and accelerating climate change, a report warned on... By Pete Harrison

BRUSSELS | Sun Nov 7, 2010 11:02pm GMT

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - European plans to promote biofuels will drive farmers to convert 69,000 square km of wild land into fields and plantations, depriving the poor of food and accelerating climate change, a report warned on Monday. ..."
TH
December 26, 2010 12:49AM
I've been interested in alternative energy since Carter was screwing things up. I never bought into the save the planet nonsense, To paraphrase George Carlin, the planet is fine. We might be in trouble, but it will be here millions of years from now. I like the idea of alternatives as an intellectual challenge, and to see if they make economic sense. Using waste oil to make biodiesel seems to be a good idea, as long as you get the hydroxyls out. The rest of it is crap. Using a food crop to make ethanol is criminal. Why do they think the railroads went to coal instead of charcoal? Oops, sorry, made the mistake of assuming the greenies think at all.

I'm curious how Gore and his ilk will try to spin the current terrible weather to show how it "proves" they are right. Guess that's why they had the last meeting in Cancun instead of Denmark.
January 10, 2011 08:44AM
As a 30 year Republican and than a 10 year greeny (i have been treasurer of the Green Party Of Los Angeles County for 4 years) i thought i was thinking.
The Green's and Libertarians have lunch together in North LA countythe finger smiley

[counterpunch.com]
Attachments:
open | download - Anti-Climactic in Cancun.rtf (10.9 KB)
TH
January 15, 2011 01:34AM
I find it a little odd to see someone claiming to be a Republican, then citing an article published by Alexander Cockburn, who writes for the Nation and thinks Obama is far too conservative. Of course, Cockburn does think Human Induced Climate Change is mostly hooey, proving you can't be wrong about everything.

Tom
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login