Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Advanced

steamautomobile.com Feedback

Posted by Karl Petersen 
steamautomobile.com Feedback
October 28, 2009 02:07AM
I have been working on a couple of additions to the web pages which were approved by the SACA board at the meet last month. They're pretty simple technically but took several days to prepare, considering the material they were made from was not on line already anywhere.

They are not on the real steamautomobile.com yet, but on my personal pages so you can check them out. Please note the search engine for the whole site, the page for Steam Automobile (quarterly) where you can view the entire index and covers, and the Bulletin page where you can look at not only the cover but the index page for recent issues and one entire issue.

Please write me back comments, and to the Forum too if you like, since I want to know what is useful and what is not.

Start at this link: [www.firedragon.com]

Karl Petersen
Re: steamautomobile.com Feedback
October 31, 2009 08:39AM
Karl,

I appreciated seeing the magazine covers and the contents lists for each. It has shown me roughly what is in the issues missing from my partial collection and give priority to filling the gaps. Some article titles do not indicate what the subject really is so additional information is needed to support a search index.

Eventually a data base or cross reference index of topics and authors will be needed that covers all the steam publications - something for a few people to do in winter in front of a warm fire once the index of each volume is available.

Regards,

Graeme
December 15, 2009 05:11PM
I have spent some time with an expensive utility and completed a 350Mb text searchable archive of all quarterlies and bulletins (fits on half a 10 cent CD). Kudos to Tom Kimmel for scanning at the personal cost of a couple of steam cars. My dual-processor cpu can do a text search on the whole thing in 6 minutes. I use Adobe Acrobat 8.1 but I suspect any pdf searcher will be as good. If I add all the Steam Power, Light Steam Power, Steam Car and Steam Aviation and other magazines, it will probably lap over the edge of the CD and take longer than brewing 12 cups of coffee.

Google has told me that they don't put up serial pubications on their Google Books website. As usual, though, they speak with fork-ed tongue since I have found Popular Science and similar materials there. Since I am a Google Books Partner, I would think there would be some leverage, but nothing positive has come of it yet. What I want is to be able to do a Google search on "Bill Besler" and find all the references to him in all the steam magazines. When a "snippet" view comes up, the "Where is this book" will direct you to the SACA Storeroom with a price for the issue or the CD containing the issue (Steam Automobile Vol 1-10 now available at the Storeroom!).

Is this going in the right direction?

Plz ansr.

Karl Petersen
December 15, 2009 11:38PM
Yup,

Sounds good to me Karl. Keep up the good work.

Best Regards, ----------Bill G.
December 16, 2009 07:10AM
Karl,

Thankyou for working on this, a lot of work goes into it.
Looks really good, and will help get interest in the Club up in my opinion.

When you have some material are ready to upload let me know, and I will set you up, or I can do it, your choice.

Scott
December 16, 2009 03:30PM
There you go, check "What's New" on steamautomobile.com

Feedback here, bulletin@steamautomobile.com, karlp@firedragon.com, or phone 208 340 4570.

I count zero replies through 12/26. You all must be AFK on the holidays.

Karl Petersen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2009 12:12AM by Karl Petersen.
December 26, 2009 10:07AM
The steamautomobile.com front page google search now finds all article titles from The Steam Automobile quarterly since 1958.

Happy Boxing Day.

Karl Petersen
March 10, 2010 08:22PM
Hi All,

I noticed that the home page for the site has been updated. I think it looks good.

Tom Laferriere
This page and all its contents are Copyrighted 2010

Nice job on the webpages Tom, I like the picture at the top where your blowing down, cool picture...

Consider a possible modify of the homepage copyright notice, this is how I would word it.

steamautomobile.com
All rights reserved, copyright © 2010 SACA Inc.

Best

Jeremy

-edit- changed INC. to Inc.-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2010 08:45PM by Jeremy Holmes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login