Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Advanced

Building ModelWorks Likamobile

Posted by wwayman 
Building ModelWorks Likamobile
August 09, 2005 11:15AM
Hello folks out there in steam land…
I was crazy enough to go for the ModelWorks Likamobile steam kit car. Had a chance to visit their factory in the UK a month ago, very interesting place. So far I have received the first 2 kits. Will probably wait until I get more parts before getting out the spray gun…..

Anyone else on this forum building one?

If there is interest, I will post photos of construction progress and modifications that I make. (The problem with being a engineer is you can change or “improve” things at will, even though they are probably good enough as-is.)

Bill Wayman

Re: Building ModelWorks Likamobile
August 09, 2005 01:47PM
I'd like to see your progress. Thanks for sharing your build
Cheers
Mark Stacey
www.cncprototyping.co.nz
August 09, 2005 08:14PM
Hello Bill W.

A blow by blow account of your Likamobile project would be interesting. Wishing you success with it. What line or lines of engineering are you into?

That little Citicar is interesting. What kind of mileage comes with it?

Best of success with the project --------- Bill G.

PS. Mark does CNC Prototyping do much shipping to the US? I'am wondering about costs.
August 10, 2005 05:50AM
Hi Bill

Sorry I missed you last month when you visited us from across the pond I hope you were not too incapacitated by Isobel's industrial strength coffee which I am convinced is in fact neat wood varnish masquerading as coffee. If you click onto

www.stanleysteamers.com

and then click on the discussion phorum I have started a link for our Likamobile builders on there. We have a group of 3 friends in New Jersey building one each. If you start dialogue on the discussion forum link I am sure Rick and his mates will be only to pleased to share their building experiences with you and any other Likamobile builders who read these pages.

Cheers

Simon Cast
August 10, 2005 06:48AM
Hi Bill,

I may be building one of these interesting vehicles myself in the near future, and kicking in on this topic. For now, I may be getting a Stanley in a few days, we shall see. Is the MW factory a blast, or what. Modern commercial steam car production -- they're really doing it, right now, and I suspect we ain't seen nuthin yet. Hope more of us can get over there to see "the real thing" first-hand too, it really changed my thinking about a number of things. Very professional & productive top-notch operation. Best of luck with your build.

Hi Simon,

Yes, Isobel's coffee is a necessary part of any MW factory tour. Real industrial strength, and its beneficial effects are apparent. An excellent source of the essential nutrient caffeine. smiling smiley

Peter

September 13, 2005 07:14AM
Sorry it's taken so long to post photos. It's been a busy summer with fixing up a car for my 18-year-old daughter.
Modelworks ships 2 kits every other month to US customers. So far I have received the first 4 kits. Photos attached. Around thanksgiving I plan to start assembly.
Bill Wayman

September 13, 2005 07:15AM
More photos

December 09, 2005 11:26AM
Latest photos.....
Bill Wayman

December 09, 2005 11:29AM
More photos...

December 14, 2005 09:53AM
I ordered the Modelworks Likamobile steam car kit this month. I have been following the progress of this project for two years now, on this and other steam car sites. I look forward to sharing information on the build experience with others who are building the Likamobile. Hopefully this will make the project go more smoothly, and result in a more fun build process.
I am located in Virginia, and I would be interested in learning of others who are on the East Coast who are building the Likamobile (I know about Rick in NJ, and have been following his Web site with great interest.)

My e-mail is douglas.tomb@verizon.net.

Doug Tomb.
January 16, 2006 11:33AM
Over Christmas and new years I got a lot done. Here are photos of the rolling chassis and the body frame before painting.
Bill Wayman

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All files from this thread

File Name File Size   Posted by Date  
citicar.JPG 93.6 KB open | download wwayman 08/09/2005 Read message
Kit 1 and 2.jpg 316.7 KB open | download wwayman 09/13/2005 Read message
Kit 3 and 4.jpg 323.2 KB open | download wwayman 09/13/2005 Read message
Modified tiller knuckle.jpg 307.2 KB open | download wwayman 09/13/2005 Read message
Axles.jpg 310.5 KB open | download wwayman 09/13/2005 Read message
Rear axle end.jpg 296.9 KB open | download wwayman 09/13/2005 Read message
Front axle end.jpg 304.9 KB open | download wwayman 09/13/2005 Read message
Parts ready for primer.jpg 323.9 KB open | download wwayman 12/09/2005 Read message
Putty over welds.jpg 296.9 KB open | download wwayman 12/09/2005 Read message
Sanding welds.jpg 319.3 KB open | download wwayman 12/09/2005 Read message
Gears in diff.jpg 314.4 KB open | download wwayman 12/09/2005 Read message
Diff in primer.jpg 310.4 KB open | download wwayman 12/09/2005 Read message
Steam Car 029.jpg 309.2 KB open | download wwayman 01/16/2006 Read message
Steam Car 032.jpg 313.2 KB open | download wwayman 01/16/2006 Read message
body5.JPG 311.7 KB open | download wwayman 01/16/2006 Read message