Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Advanced

Reasonable Water Range, Condensing vs non-Condensing

Posted by alsancle 
Reasonable Water Range, Condensing vs non-Condensing
July 04, 2021 07:24AM
Given reasonable weather conditions what is the expected water range of a non-condensing vs condensing Stanley? I have in my head 1 mile to the gallon on the non condensing, but I don't know if that is correct. I have no idea on a condensing car. I know the water tanks sizes can vary. What is typical?

Thanks!

A.J.
Re: Reasonable Water Range, Condensing vs non-Condensing
July 04, 2021 09:25AM
The question is two vague.

There are 10 HP and 20 HP non condensing engines. It also depends on the condition of the engines. I have a 10 HP car I never checked the total range but I did come close to running out of water on one tour. I believe it was a little over 50 miles but a lot of hills. Up state NY.
David Nergaard claims he did 178 miles on one tank of water with his piston valve engine in condensing Stanley. When you drive a Stanley you don’t pass a water stop two often.

Rolly
July 04, 2021 12:00PM
Understood that the question is vague and dependent on a number of factors including weather, weight of the car and passengers, condition of the motor, condenser, etc. I guess I was looking for some rough rules of thumb.

I know David Nergaard has experimented with a steam driven fan on the condenser similar to a Doble.
July 04, 2021 12:35PM
Yes as far as I know he is still using a rout type blower on the exhaust steam before the condenser to drive a fan on the condenser. Nice system

Rolly
July 05, 2021 12:03PM
Road speed has a lot to do with water mileage too. Our non condensing1914 606 Stanley can get 50% better water mileage steaming along at 25 mpg than what we can get driving hard at 60 mph. Figuring our average water mileage at 1 mpg is a safe bet.
July 07, 2021 05:46AM
SSsssteamer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Road speed has a lot to do with water mileage too.
> Our non condensing1914 606 Stanley can get 50%
> better water mileage steaming along at 25 mpg than
> what we can get driving hard at 60 mph. Figuring
> our average water mileage at 1 mpg is a safe bet.

That makes sense. Thank you. Has anybody besides Dave had any luck with auxiliary fans? Would an electric fan work?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login