Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Advanced

Stanley engine disassembly

Posted by jeff brown 
Stanley engine disassembly
May 30, 2021 09:10PM
Hi All,
I was lucky enough to pick up a 20HP Stanley engine as a spare for my R. In taking it apart, it seems to be in really good condition with little wear. It had been in a barn for over 50 years but was still oily and would still turn. So am thinking it may be a better engine than the one I cobbled together from original and homemade parts. However, I have struck a problem in trying to take the crankshaft apart so I can fit a new gear with the correct number of teeth for the R. I soaked the whole assembly in Kroil penetrating oil for a couple of weeks and then put it in the 20T press and the shaft would not budge. I left it under full pressure for a couple of weeks and still no movement. Normally to get something off a shaft, I would use heat to break the bond but as everything on the shaft is hardened, I do not want to do that. Short of finding someone with a larger press, does anyone have any suggestions for taking this apart or something that may have worked for them in the past.?

Thanks

Jeff
Re: Stanley engine disassembly
May 31, 2021 11:10AM
Jeff
I have never done that job, but as editor of SACA-NE newsletter for the first ten years several members have. If my memory servers me it takes at least a 50 ton press and sometimes more. I was trying to find a photo of a press setup with two hydraulic jacks one on each side of the main ram required for one job slightly bending the bottom rail.

Rolly
May 31, 2021 07:04PM
Oh, thanks Rolly, no wonder it has not moved! I'll have to scout out the local engineering firms and see if anyone has a 50T press. Failing that, I think I could bore out the shaft enough to get the cranks off if I mount one end on center in the lathe and use a steady on the outboard end running on the bearing roller groove. It wouldn't be easy and I would need to make a new shaft but may be a possible last resort.

Jeff
June 02, 2021 08:39AM
I've taken apart many, many Stanley crank shafts. 50 tons will work fine as that is what I also presently use in my shop. I used to have a 40 ton press and with it, I sometimes had to add heat to get the crankshaft throws to part. If you use heat, try not getting a color change to the metal while heating and your crank throws' temper should be safe. While pressing them back together, make sure that you have an equally tight pressing. While touring, I have had crank throws back off of their crank shaft, and that can ruin your day. Fixable on the road, but only a temporary fix. The indication of a crank throw backing is off is the wrist pin overheating from becoming out of alignment. The engine becomes sluggish from the extra wrist pin drag and eventually welding its self tight and breaking the connecting rod. I fixed that one while on the road in Canada. A farmer had a arc welder handy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login