Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Advanced

Oil in condenser.

Posted by frustrated 
Oil in condenser.
July 15, 2020 09:44AM
I think I stumbled across a simple way to get most of the oil out of a condenser --- just need to get your hands on the appropriate chemicals.

Oil absorbing sponge

Certainly looks simpler than a centrifuge and much more compact than a settling tank.

Regards,

Ken
Re: Oil in condenser.
July 15, 2020 10:57AM
I use to use Loofas plants (not really a sponges) in the hotwell on my boat until I built a
removable draw made with ABS plastic sheets spaced 1/8 inch apart. Oil sticks to ABS plastic like a magnet.
It was 12 inches by 12 inches square by six inches wide, about 96 square feet of surface area. The returning water from the condenser was cold and the water passed from one side to the other and all the oil stuck to the ABS plastic sheet. No sign of oil on the other side. Every couple of weeks depending on how often I used the boat I would pull it out and put it in a plastic bag and bring it home and drop it in a barrel Kerosene to clean it.

There are a lot of blast plate designs of oil separators for steam cars to use before the condenser on steam cars. David Nergaard uses one on his car.
See photos

The problem with an absorbent material on a condensing steam car before the condenser is temperature. It has to stand up to at least 350D pluses without breaking down over a long period of time and plugging the condenser.
If you use Mobil 634 ISO 460 it will not clog a condenser and will float on top of top of the water back in the water tank. If you use a blast plate type of oil separators before the condenser most of it will be removed.

Rolly

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2020 03:51PM by Rolly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All files from this thread

File Name File Size   Posted by Date  
640x480.jpg 56.5 KB open | download Rolly 07/15/2020 Read message
P1010004a.jpg 191 KB open | download Rolly 07/15/2020 Read message
P1010008.JPG 170.7 KB open | download Rolly 07/15/2020 Read message