Doble battery charging
June 28, 2020 12:13AM
Hey there, folks! I have been trying to figure out how the Doble steam cars charged their batteries, considering they used an electric blower to run the burner and boiler. The engine doesn't idle and has no clutch, as far as I know, so how were the batteries recharged? I've been considering the design for my own project, and figure Doble likely had a better idea than I'll have!

Thanks for taking the time!
Re: Doble battery charging
June 28, 2020 05:50AM
The crankshaft of the engine extended out the right side of the casing and drove a shaft forward to run the auxiliary unit that had the four water pumps also the vacuum pumps and oil pump as well as the generator.

Rolly
June 28, 2020 09:14AM
I see, thank you. It simply didn't charge when you weren't moving, then.
June 28, 2020 04:42PM
Aristophanese Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I see, thank you. It simply didn't charge when you
> weren't moving, then.

Jim Crank addresses this in his book. I believe there was a later modification for dual batteries to address the rapid draw down in some situations.
June 28, 2020 10:17PM
Jim Crank was pretty explicit that the French-Coats and Staley cars, which had smaller auxiliary engines to run pumps, blowers and generator were a large step ahead of Doble.
June 29, 2020 09:10AM
Thank you for the info! It really seemed to be a less than ideal arrangement to only be able to intermittently charge the batteries. Especially if they are critical for the burner. I'm glad others agreed.

If I recall correctly, Jay Leno's traction engine actually has a steam dynamo to run the lights. That's something I'll have to research.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login