Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Advanced

Steam temp

Posted by jjtjr 
Steam temp
February 26, 2020 03:45PM
Whats the best way to measure steam temp. At the engine. I installed a superheater on my boiler and have a pyrometer on the exhaust of the boiler housing. But don't know what the steam temp is into the engine. The pressure on the boiler is from 200 to 245 psi. I know there are losses from the boiler to engine. Want to know if I have too much super heat ? If its too much I may have to reduce the length of the superheater. Can I use a thermocouple on the pipe where it enters the engine or just use an IR temp gun. And aim it at the same place. Will this be a correct reading of steam temp? I know if I look at the steam tables it will tell me the temp. But thats not at the engine.
Re: Steam temp
February 26, 2020 09:33PM
X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2020 05:37AM by IronChief.
February 28, 2020 02:57PM
I'd have a play with the IR thermometer - quick, cheap and easy. I use one on the exhaust pipes of a car to find out which cylinder is misfiring - easier than spitting on it.

Mike
February 28, 2020 03:15PM
X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2020 05:36AM by IronChief.
February 29, 2020 09:20AM
The problem is that most people put the superheater in the combustion chamber. That’s not where it belongs. I agree on some boilers there’s not much choice, but it belongs in a zone that is much cooler. In most cases you only need 200 degrees above saturated temperature with a piston engine and in no cast more than 650F as most oils cannot handle heat above 700 D F.
When I built the Derr boilers the location was two rows of tubes above the combustion chamber.
Rolly

February 29, 2020 10:42AM
X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2020 05:35AM by IronChief.
February 29, 2020 01:12PM
jjtjr-

The best way to find out what steam temp you have going into your engine is to place a thermocouple in the steam line right before the steam chest-which is what I do. Of course, I use only monotube steam generators, so steam temp is a necessary bit of data quite often.

Even if you just temporarily install a tee in your steam line while you're working out the correct superheater length to use-I think it's well worth it. Particularly if your engine is using a slide valve...

Regards-

Chuk
March 08, 2020 09:10AM
Rolly , i agree on the placement of the superheater but since the boiler was already made i had no choice on its location. My plan is to place a thermocouple on the steam pipe just above the steam chest and see what it is. Then i will post the result.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All files from this thread

File Name File Size   Posted by Date  
Derr boiler.JPG 92.5 KB open | download Rolly 02/29/2020 Read message