Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Advanced

Lubricator

Posted by jjtjr 
Lubricator
January 23, 2020 07:35AM
Were is the best location to place a mechanical lubricator, in the steam pipe that goes to the engine or into the steam chest. I have a mason engine and want a positive lub system. I'm using super heat.
Re: Lubricator
January 23, 2020 11:44AM
Most Mason Engines just have one steam input to the chest. Not sure what you're thinking but I would not recommend any other penetrations to the steam chest. I'm confident that if you add lubrication to the steam line, it will work pretty well.

However, if you are going crazy with super heat, all bets are off. I would suggest just a single loop of super heat on your boiler to dry up the steam a little. Originally these engines did not run with super heat. Perhaps limit super heat to around 400 Deg F.

Note that my reference point is a Mason installed on Tony Grzyb's Delora buggy. He uses a single loop super heat and mechanical lubricator off the engine similar to a Stanley lubricator. I'm very familar with his machine and can provide pictures if needed. His machine performs very well.
January 23, 2020 06:54PM
I have 8' of 1/2" sch 80 pipe for the superheater. I was told by a stanley guy that 10 ' was ok but I couldn't fit it.Not sure how many feet a loop would be in a stanley. see image I just ordered a mechanical lubricator from loco parts.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2020 07:02PM by jjtjr.

January 24, 2020 01:58PM
JJTjr-

For superheater length/specs using your engine, your best bet is to get in touch with Pat Farrell. He's a very knowledgeable guy regarding Stanleys, and I'm sure he would have some suggestions for you.

Regards,

Chuk
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All files from this thread

File Name File Size   Posted by Date  
IMG_1563.JPG 35.4 KB open | download jjtjr 01/23/2020 Read message