Russian steam powered car
January 13, 2020 01:05PM
Wow...it’s been kinda quiet here lately...nice to see you back on the forum, Jeremy!

Found this gem on YouTube...It’s from a Russian YouTube channel called “Garage 54”. I had seen some of their previous videos where they do things like filling tires with foam insulation and replace the wheels with iron manhole covers, all with a tongue-in-cheek approach.

Recently, they converted a Russian “Lada” automobile to steam power....complete with the original engine converted to steam using a double-lobed cam and homemade fire tube boiler. Lots of footage of the fabrication process, too. Lots of safety issues as well...no surprise there...but they pulled it off and actually got the thing to drive on steam. Gotta love Russian ingenuity...

First video: engine conversion and test using compressed air : [youtu.be]

Second video: boiler build and test using steam : [youtu.be]

Third video: installing boiler in the vehicle and test drive on steam : [youtu.be]

Enjoy,

Jamison
Re: Russian steam powered car
January 13, 2020 05:28PM
Hi Jamison,

Thanks, if you would like to see how im configuring my feed pump I can post some info. I noticed that your feedpump is an auxiliary on some of your projects. We could make a new topic or we could discuss it here.

Best

Jeremy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2020 05:29PM by Jeremy Holmes.
January 14, 2020 09:03AM
I love it, coal fired. It`s what we need in WV
Don
January 21, 2020 11:45AM
Hi Jamison,
Sorry for the lack of response. Yes the Russians converted that engine right according to your IC conversion methods. You think they stole it from your channel?

Kind regards,
Rick
January 22, 2020 11:05AM
Hi Rick,
Those Russians hardly ever heard about Steam Club to stole this idea of converting, they know almost nothing about steam either. This idea of converting ICE is common enough all around the world, anyhow. I've read about it in one Rusian steam site about 15 years ago... But all this is just TV show, to attract attention, no more. Not the real attempt to build real steam automobile. Just look on their boiler...bomb in preaction...

Serge
January 26, 2020 09:09PM
Serge,

I think they made a big mistake by cutting the sides off the pressure vessels and welding them together. That totally compromised any pressure rating those cylinders originally had. They would have been better off keeping the cylinders intact, make two separate boilers and then connect them together at the top and bottom. I also believe they would have been better off with smaller pipes for the fire tubes...and more of them. Had that “boiler” burst...it would have been catastrophic.

Jamison
March 29, 2020 11:01AM
Sure, Jamison, they did. They did even more mistake not to hire me as steam consultant for their project (ha-ha-hasmiling smiley) I would never permit those cuttings...and of course made them to pack that cylinders full of smaller tubing or throu all that away and weld something a la Derr boiler and make steam forced draft in the stake, stronger intake valve spring like in youir lawn tractor convertion or even better - bash valves and a lot of smaller things... That thing may would really run...they would pick up a lot more of likes, their real goal... I wrote them about all that in comment... no replay.

Serge
May 29, 2020 07:08PM
Searched for this topic for a while, Jamison thanks for your reply. I stumbled across some video of my solid fuel burner this one is battery powered and I have an improved design Im currently working on.

071818 002a

[www.youtube.com]
May 29, 2020 09:35PM
I have a good youtube of my feed pump I can peg it out over 4000psi by hand crank if you can believe it smiling smiley can post

FEEDPUMP 003

[www.youtube.com]

since nobody is paying attention got to love this one

WORLD RECORD Water Rocket Car 0 – 343.5 kph in 2.5 sec

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2020 09:37PM by Jeremy Holmes.
June 01, 2020 11:54AM
On the Water Rocket Car, could that be classified as a steam powered vehicle? confused smiley

Maybe not...
June 01, 2020 03:37PM
No,I don't think you could classify it as steam-powered. It appears to be a cannister filled with water and compressed air, like those little pump up rockets we had as kid. By contrast, the Truax rocket Evel Kneval and Mad Mike Hughes flew were filled with saturated water which flashed into steam at the nozzle --- those had a lot higher specific impulse, I'm sure.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login