Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Advanced

Locomobile Frames

Posted by IanL 
Locomobile Frames
December 04, 2018 03:02AM
Now that summer is here in Tasmania, and I can work outside, I have restarted work on my Locomobile/Likamobile replica, and have ditched the steel hollow section body framing. I am rebuilding it to the Hibler drawings in Ash. Searching out all available photo's off the Net of "original" Locomobile frames it seemed to me that in some pictures the frames appear to be larger in section than shown in the drawings.

Wonder if anybody has observed this in the flesh, or is it just an optical illusion that makes them appear larger in some photos.

Thanks

Ian
Re: Locomobile Frames
December 04, 2018 09:23PM
Are you talking about the interior framing of the body? The Hibler notes do not cover the chassis as far as I know. The Chassis tubing on all of the smaller carriages was 1-1/4 inches and the rear axle shaft tubes are 1-1/2 inch. Some of the larger cars like the Surreys and Long wheel base runabouts used 1-1/2" inch exclusively.

-Ron
December 04, 2018 09:44PM
Hi Ron, yes, I should have been more explicit all the timber body framing.

Ian
December 05, 2018 08:33AM
Ian,

Oh ok, yes as I understand it, the crossmembers etc are 7/8" X 3". The Hibler notes are what I used and all the dimensions appear to be accurate. I've looked at quite a few and the dimensions are the same. I ran in to the same source of confusion when starting out, collecting pictures from the web and trying to compare and arrive at a consensus, just stick to the Hibler notes for the body and you'll be about as accurate as you can get. He did a very fine job of collecting that information from an original 1900 Style 2.

The company that built the bodies in Amesbury, Massachusetts, was Currier and Cameron, and they built bodies for about half dozen different makers, Locomobile, Stanley, Mobile etc. And nothing was etched in stone, there are slight differences in dimensioning in known authentic examples. Case in point, I'm working with a gentlemen presently that has acquired an original 1899 Style 1, still in the original paint, Everything concurs with the known features, dimensions etc, 51 wheel tread, center tiller steering, Mason 70 engine etc etc, except the lower body width dimension, as I understand it the Style 1 was 25-1/2 inches, he measures it at 27 inches, which doesn't even concur with the style 2 which was 28-1/2 inches. So as you can see, don't bet the farm on any of the dimensions. They had no stringent design that they adhered to as evidenced by variance in known surviving examples.

-Ron

December 05, 2018 02:11PM
Thanks for your comprehensive reply Ron- it is appreciated.

Ian
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All files from this thread

File Name File Size   Posted by Date  
IMG_3632 (Medium).JPG 105.7 KB open | download IronChief 12/05/2018 Read message
IMG_3661 (Medium).JPG 99.7 KB open | download IronChief 12/05/2018 Read message
IMG_3738 (Medium).JPG 107.6 KB open | download IronChief 12/05/2018 Read message
IMG_4024 (Medium).JPG 125.6 KB open | download IronChief 12/05/2018 Read message
IMG_4047 (Medium).JPG 118.8 KB open | download IronChief 12/05/2018 Read message
IMG_4271 (Medium).JPG 104.5 KB open | download IronChief 12/05/2018 Read message
IMG_3718 (Medium).JPG 110.4 KB open | download IronChief 12/05/2018 Read message