Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Advanced

Brass Question

Posted by chuk williams 
Brass Question
November 21, 2018 06:43AM
Hey-

I have a few brass trim pieces on my Model T steamer that constantly need cleaning/polishing, and I know some of you "old hands" have a trick coating that prevents or slows down tarnish.

My question is: what is this miraculous substance-and will it also work on aluminum?

Thanks!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Chuk
Re: Brass Question
November 21, 2018 10:37AM
In Navy engine rooms there is a terrible amount of brass that the ....errr.... brass demanded be kept shiny. We buffed it to a high gloss, cleaned it with alcohol and applied a clear sealer ... lacquer, varnish, whatever was transparent and kept the atmosphere off.
November 21, 2018 11:23AM
Hi Chuk,

I use a product called Everbrite and it works really well even with higher temperature components. The downside is it makes it look a little fake, it doesn't have that same deep luster as freshly polished brass, but it looks better than it turning brown and requires no maintenance.

[www.amazon.com]

Attached are a few pics of my Locomobiles' exhaust system with Everbrite applied

-Ron

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2018 11:36AM by IronChief.

November 21, 2018 03:10PM
Hi Chuk
I have been using Flitz instant brass and copper tarnish remover. it says it works on aluminum as well. I never tried it on aluminum.
Item T26759 Grizzly Industrial.
I then polish it with Nevr Dull it works on all metals.
Rolly
November 21, 2018 04:10PM
For all my brass, I use "Mother's Mag Week Polish". It is meant for polishing Aluminum and Mag wheels but it works well on brass too and it leave a protective film that lasts for weeks. Where it really "shines" is its great protection from water spots on my brass. It is available at most parts houses and at Harbor Freight too.
November 21, 2018 08:23PM
For metal polish, I've always used Happich Simichrome. Great stuff. Get the tubes, the can is too messy to work with. We used to make our old motorcycle sideplates look like chrome with this polish, it seems fast acting, but it's not abrasive at all. .

[www.amazon.com]

-Ron

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2018 08:28PM by IronChief.
November 22, 2018 08:13PM
Well-

Thanks all! I now have a few options to choose from-we'll see how it goes--ahh--shines!!

Regards-

Chuk
December 12, 2018 11:02AM
Chuck, if the parts don't get too hot you could probably get them coated at a local music store that sells and maintains brass instruments. Its designed to take a lot of wear at least from personal observation playing for years in the local HS band. My trumpet is over 38 years old and still has a moderate amount of shine left.
SteveS
December 13, 2018 08:03AM
Hey-

An update-I followed some of your suggestions and bought a coupla different types of cleaners/polish. I tested them on a relatively clean piece of brass and was a bit surprised at the results.

I tested: Brasso, Simichrome, Mothers,and two forgettable others that had been in the back of my toolbox for years! I plan to get some of the Flitz and check it out too....

I used a clean towel for each, and used them as suggested in the instructions. The best of them all was the Simichrome, next was the Mothers, followed by Brasso and the others.

I also bought a can of the Everbrite, but haven't tested it yet. The last suggestion about the musical instrument coatings sounds like a good one too!

Merry Christmas!!

Chuk
December 13, 2018 05:28PM
Hi Chuk,

Glad the Simichrome worked out for you. I started using that in around 1978 when I had my ole Triumph Trophy Tiger 500, fun motorcycle but it would have made a much better paint shaker. smiling smiley Both pistons went up and down at the same time..

That Everbrite is probably the same as they use on musical instruments. One thing I remember about it, don't work it around too much, just wipe it on one direction and leave it to level out.

-Ron
January 23, 2019 02:16PM
I use a combination of Wizards Metal Polish cloths and put wizards metal renew on it. It seems to be the most effective product to get brass bits to shine up short of the buffing wheel. Less effective but still good is Mother's Billet cleaner and Simichrome. I think Brasso was developed to punish people since it really does not seem to work very well at all
I have tried a number of ways to keep the shine. Eastwood clear metal protect spray came with a 3 month promise of protection. It worked pretty well for three months but started discoloring, albeit at a slower rate then unprotected metal. the problem was that it takes a lot of effort to get it off again. clearcoating a piece has been my worst experience as, no matter how good you do, the metal still seems to discolor after a while, especially if you drive the vehicle or if it's subjected to any heat. The simplest solution has been to cover it with a layer of wax and realize that the Brass era gave way to the Nickle plated era for a reason and that you're never getting away from polishing
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All files from this thread

File Name File Size   Posted by Date  
IMG_0875 (Medium).JPG 97.9 KB open | download IronChief 11/21/2018 Read message
IMG_0892 (Medium).JPG 120.7 KB open | download IronChief 11/21/2018 Read message
IMG_0895 (Medium).JPG 86 KB open | download IronChief 11/21/2018 Read message
IMG_0888 (Medium).JPG 142.2 KB open | download IronChief 11/21/2018 Read message
IMG_0899 (Medium).JPG 88.9 KB open | download IronChief 11/21/2018 Read message