Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Advanced

Pellandini steam car

Posted by russt 
Pellandini steam car
October 29, 2017 01:33PM
Hi everybody!

There is not so easy to find information on even more known projects, but nevertheless... May be anybody knows about powerplant of this car? [www.redorbit.com]

Serge
Re: Pellandini steam car
October 29, 2017 07:53PM
Serge,

I don’t know anything about the “Steam Cat”....but dang it....I WANT ONE!! That has to be one of the coolest steam powered vehicles I have ever seen....and it was available as a kit car?!? I wonder if there are any of those still out there....perhaps a kit that someone started and gave up on. I’m with you, Serge...very curious about what was under the hood of that thing. The styling looks typical funky 70’s....reminds me of the VW dune buggy conversions that were popular at that time.

Jamison
October 30, 2017 04:10AM
This is the Peter Pellandine steam car, once well known in the steam fraternity. As I recall, 2 double-acting cylinders in a V2 configuration, single expansion, with poppet inlet and exhaust valves, direct drive, high pressure steam from advanced monotube steam generator, and neck-snapping acceleration. Pellandine was a professional automotive engineer who worked for noted producers of performance/sports/racing gas cars, and knew his stuff. His all-modern steam cars were seriously hot stuff, and got far less press coverage than they deserved IMO. Today, detailed information on his developments is very hard to find.

I remember seeing an episode of a "new tech" 1990s cable-TV show, hosted by a now-well-known [but then obscure] TV personality whose name escapes me, which covered the latest Pellandine steam sports car of the time. The car was running in top form, and the female reporter who rode with Pellandine in the car made a rather sexy squeal when he "floored it" from a stop.

In the steam press, Pellandine noted that his main technical challenge, still unresolved, was his cam-driven poppet valves.

Peter
October 30, 2017 04:41AM
The 1990s cable TV show which I mentioned was CNet's "The New Edge"; host Ryan Seacrest. I have not been able to find the Pellandine steam car episode of that show on the internet. If anybody finds it, please post link; that would be interesting to see again.

Peter
October 30, 2017 07:34AM
Нi, Jamison

Car really looks cool, I think it is quite a challenge to find that kit, or to build something of the kind. There written that the car stored in the National Motor Museum at Birdwood, South Australia
Read more at [www.redorbit.com] But this link doesn't work for me. May be Australian steam guys would bring some details? May be somebody still has one in his garage from his father's inheritance?! Wow, it is really possible!

Serge
October 30, 2017 07:54AM
Peter, Thank You for Your income.

There would be really interesting to look at that video. The problems with sliding cam which Pellandini could not fix, more or less resolved in other steam projects. So Steam Cat could really go, I think.

Serge
October 30, 2017 10:28AM
If you do a search in Google images for "Pelland Steam car", there are quite a few images that come up.

The Mr Bell, on this page says he has three of these kits, not sure when that was?

[www.thesamba.com]

-Ron

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2017 11:51AM by IronChief.
November 05, 2017 12:50PM
All, I tried to view the page and was blocked multiple times by my antivirus program. The attack was JSCoinminer Download 8 .
The alert came from my Norton 360. It could be a false warning but I would rather let you know to check than get a virus.
SteveW
November 05, 2017 03:39PM
I detected this as well but it was handled by my antivirus program. the URL sends a lot of problems'
November 06, 2017 01:53AM
Still more puzzles then answers. There writen Steam cat had double acting compound. One now in museum in Australia. Racer now in England, Lakeland Motor Museum in Backbarrow, Cumbria, three cylinders wide arrow engine. I wonder if those english steam gues never saw it? Never had a look under it's hood?

Serge
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login