Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Advanced

Loco Hauk

Posted by frustrated 
Loco Hauk
October 22, 2017 08:08PM
Chuk couldn't get the Forum to post the URL in the message, so I'm lending an assist....

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hey-

I'm sure some of the attendees of the Fall Meet from a coupla years ago remember the two guys who were there picking our brains about how to build a steam powered jeep for the History Channel. I just came across a video of the build that they did, using an engine and boiler that was supplied by our friend Tom Kimmel.

The two guys-Kenny and Rick-were quite tuned in designers/fabricators/mechanics, and although they didn't know much about steam engines or boilers-they very quickly picked up on what questions to ask to get the info they needed. By the time they left and headed back to Pennsylvania, those of us who talked with them and answered their questions felt like they could do the build without doing any serious damage to themselves or others.

Anyway, check out the video and see for yourself what they came up with! It's not what I would have done with such a high quality steam plant, but then that's show business!!

Loco Hauk

Chuk
Re: Loco Hauk
October 22, 2017 10:19PM
That site has a bug according to my Avast software.

Ron
October 22, 2017 10:23PM
Eset smart security complains and blocks something on the site.
October 23, 2017 07:31AM
Yes-my filter went crazy for a bit, then opened the link and I could view the complete forty minute video with no problems.

Twas interesting to see how all the actual work was done off camera and the needless drama about explosion, etc, was a bit overdone.

It looked like they did an OK job with the installation of the steam plant, though the burner was throwing lots of black smoke.

There are a few other short videos of the "Loco Hauk" on the net. They took it to the SEMA show as well as a few others.

Chuk
October 23, 2017 08:35AM
Chuk,

I would have like to have seen it, but when I get these flags pop up, I get out quick lol. I've stared at too many blue screens in my time.

Thanks for posting it anyways, Ron
October 23, 2017 10:02AM
Ron-

I'll see if I can move the video to a more hospitable site!

Chuk
October 23, 2017 04:10PM
Well-

Unfortunately, I couldn't work out a way to view the full length video without problems with the site. There are quite a few other videos available on youtube-here's one example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeOflJVCThQ

Chuk
October 23, 2017 05:29PM
That is pretty amazing. You guys must have gave them a ton of good advice, it seems to run very well!

-Ron
October 23, 2017 08:01PM
Well-

Tom K let them use his very nice V4 from the Keene car, as well as his boiler from Howard Langdon-quite a good, easily dealt-with combination. And as I said-those guys were pretty quick on getting the info they needed to make it work well.

It would be nice to have access to the $$s those guys had available!!

Chuk
December 18, 2018 10:52AM
Just thought I'd revisit the Loco Hauk saga.

An announcement came up on Jalopnik announcing that the 6-wheeled, steam-powered jeep is for sale. Those of us attending the Berrien Springs meet last fall had a good chance to check it out.

A lot of the background is in the above posts. As I understand it, the original idea was that they would lease the engine and boiler from Tom Kimmel for something like a year. Then they were going to sell the vehicle and pay him for the powertrain. At one point they offered to sell the whole shooting match to Tom. Being unable to sell it, they returned the whole magilla to Tom for him to remove the engine and boiler before shipping the Jeep back to Pennsylvania. Just why they couldn’t unship the hardware themselves is a bit unclear but maybe Tom’s property was safer that way.

Tom’s biggest reason for assisting in this project was to promote modern, fully condensing steam automobiles --- but that kind of went to pieces under the pressure of producing reality-TV (more like surreality-TV). Needless to say, it ran well enough for their purposes, but it didn’t cover the steam automobile fraternity in glory. Tom suggested I not talk to him about this particular point too much as he didn’t want to cry…..
Apparently, upon disassembly, it was found that the boiler was equipped with very unaerodynamic cardboard ductwork from the fan to the burner; this had burned up in the heat of the enclosed space in the rear of the vehicle. Between scorching cardboard and lack of combustion air, the burner smoked very badly, making it a bit of a wonder that it made any steam at all. To give you an idea of the combustion, the inside of the boiler was coated with nearly a quarter of an inch of soot.

Things would have probably been done more correctly but for the TV camera crew waiting on hand, their time was expensive so something was cobbled together … this from Tom who said he witnessed it. Apparently the cardboard was completely gone after use. On the other hand, he reports that the rest of the build was “amazingly good”, indicating that things might have gone more favorably with a bit more time.
Anyhow, the video shows the Jeep in all its chugging glory.

Ken
December 18, 2018 12:26PM
That's some serious lack of air to the combustion. 55 gallons of water to go 1.5 miles?? That's more than a small Locomotive.

-Ron
December 18, 2018 05:32PM
Some pictures from the meet...

December 18, 2018 07:46PM
It's journalistic engineering, Ron! The car went 1.5 miles and carried 55 gallons of water, therefore.... That small Babcock style boiler doesn't have huge reserve and it's not generating steam at that rate. Of course, you knew all this but I was biting my lip not commenting until you opened the floodgates.
December 22, 2018 11:25AM
Well, I didn't mean to open a floodgate, figured that had to be a typo.

-Ron
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All files from this thread

File Name File Size   Posted by Date  
IMG_1371.JPG 160.4 KB open | download Rick.H 12/18/2018 Read message
IMG_1373.JPG 124.6 KB open | download Rick.H 12/18/2018 Read message
IMG_1374.JPG 112.3 KB open | download Rick.H 12/18/2018 Read message
IMG_1375.JPG 112.5 KB open | download Rick.H 12/18/2018 Read message
IMG_1376.JPG 122.6 KB open | download Rick.H 12/18/2018 Read message
IMG_1377.JPG 134.9 KB open | download Rick.H 12/18/2018 Read message