Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Advanced

Someone found a steam corvair in a junkyard.

Posted by zimirken 
Someone found a steam corvair in a junkyard.
September 20, 2017 09:18AM
Someone found what looks like an old corvair with what might be a steam powerplant in it. I directed them to our contact page.

[www.reddit.com]

[imgur.com]

[imgur.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2017 10:58AM by zimirken.
Re: Someone may have found a besler steam car.
September 20, 2017 10:29AM
After looking at this I highly doubt it was the work of Bill Besler and have to question whether it is even a steam car.

The only Belser conversion of a GM product, of which I am aware, was SE-121 --- currently owned by Tom Kimmel. The other car, just prior to that, was the Kaiser for Henry J. himself. Jim Crank talked of Besler often and never mentioned a Corvair.

I can't imagine Besler leaving fins on air cooled cylinders if converting to steam ... too much wasted heat.

The Joe Ellison conversion was for a straight up Corvair, an opposed 6 and not a radial.

The machine is interesting but there really isn't anything in there that I can definitively state is a boiler. The steam generating tubes and burner might be long lost but it's hard to tell what is really going on from the photos.
September 20, 2017 10:34AM
The last link, if you click the button to show the rest of the pictures, has some sort of boiler and what is definitely a burner attached to it. The burner looks like several propane turkey fryer burners.

Picture of the burners.

Picture of boiler tubes.
September 20, 2017 10:37AM
Hmmmm....OK, I can't pull those photos up from the site but can see them in your link. Looks like a steamer but not a Besler and certainly not a conversion by GM. Besides all the above, the burner and boiler are pure Not-Besler.
September 20, 2017 10:43AM
Someone on the original posting mentioned it might be a besler prototype. It's certainly some sort of old steam car though.
September 20, 2017 12:05PM
Fins on a steam cylinder? Nope, unless they were being re-heated somehow. I seriously doubt that is Besler's work. In the late 50's early 60's there was a large movement of steam enthusiasts trying to make all sorts of steam boats and vehicles. Some of the reasoning I've heard is there were many Retired Navy guys with steam experience and wanted to dabble with it at home. And also heard, because of the tightening clean air standards at that time, some folks thought then and still do that a clean running steam vehicle may become a viable product. Anywho, that is my understanding why a lot of these type projects are seen from that era. There is no telling who did that Corvair, probably a lone wolf type that got tired of sketching it on a napkin and took the plunge smiling smiley They were very cheap cars back then, after Ralph Nader made himself famous by testifying and writing books on how dangerous they were. A lot of hysteria about nothing.

-Ron
Re: Someone found a steam corvair in a junkyard.
September 20, 2017 04:34PM
I'm seeing what look like hydraulic components in this thing....strange arrangement. I agree with Ron....not steam...unless we are missing something. Looks like someone's crazy radial engine that is driving a hydraulic pump underneath it. The plumbing close to the wheels look very hydraulic....as if there are hydraulic motors on each wheel, like a forklift. What looks like a boiler may actually be for cooling fluid instead. Just my observations...the thing needs all the rust and crud cleaned up to see more details. Very cool find though, no matter what it is.

Jamison

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2017 05:29PM by Arch-Tone.
October 01, 2020 09:38PM
This is a bit old now, but the PS/77 project printed in many Steam Automobile quarterlies used a converted VW flat engine with bash valves and a monotube steam generator. This arrangement was reported used on a Corvair conversion. This is a possible match.

Karl Petersen
October 08, 2020 11:08AM
This association with the engine and Besler appears to be a bit of misreading. I found a reprint of a copy of the old Steam Automobile Quarterly somewhere in this thread and, on the right-hand side of the spread, it showed Bill Besler's obituary --- on the left-hand side it showed Joe Ellison's Corvair conversion. I think someone didn't read carefully and juxtaposed the two articles into one conclusion.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login