Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Advanced

SACA Meet Talks

Posted by frustrated 
SACA Meet Talks
August 17, 2017 12:33PM
Hi Guys,

A large part of every SACA meet is having each participant give some kind of presentation. These can range from a very short "Hi, I'm Algernon and I build pneumatic logic systems for a living. I am interested in ...." to "I'm here to talk about modeling steam flow through Doble Simplex poppet valves at precisely 2364 1/3 rpm." OK, maybe I fudged a bit, but you get the point.

Annnnnyyyyyhooowwww..... About the only person I don't expect to give a talk is me. Since I'll be Emceeing the show, I figure that will be more than enough face time for the crowd without tossing in a talk. Anyways, the Bulletin sucks out much of my good material....and lots of my bad.

Now, to cut to the chase, if you are planning on attending .... could you please let me know what day you would like to speak. Even better would be if you could give me some hint as to the topic. Best of all would be some kind of rough estimate for the talk duration.

Please note that SACA meets never go off as planned and I won't be holding anyone to anything; it would just be nice to have some kind of input to plan around.

Regards,

Ken
Re: SACA Meet Talks
August 18, 2017 08:35AM
Ken,

I would like to give a presentation on my LaMont / forced circulation powered lawn tractor and on the Ofeldt inspired, percolator type steam generator I designed. I should (fingers crossed) have working examples of both, so Saturday would work best because both require outdoor demonstrations. I have not yet written a presentation for either, but I would estimate about 15 mins for each one....not sure how long the outdoor demonstrations will take. Once I write the presentations / demonstrations, I will time them so I can give you a more accurate duration. I was going to give a talk on modeling steam flow through Doble Simplex poppet valves at precisely 2364 1/3 rpm....but you stole my thunder.
Looking forward to the meet....and will give you more details once I get everything figured out.

Thanks,

Jamison
August 20, 2017 07:01AM
Hi Ken,
I hope to provide two presentations, one on Friday and on Saturday. Word files attached for the title page. I will be available to operate the computer for person's presentations. I've discussed with Tony Grzyb to provide his presentation and I would like to follow. I have sent stamped return envelope to Art G. This for him to return graphs and presentation material to me. I can prepare any graphs or slides that might require a technical tweak. I did ask Art (via note) to identify a PV Diagram on the Steam Liner Engine (theoretical) to dovetail into my presentation which will talk about my Stanley 10 HP PV diagram. Tentatively, Art could follow Tony and myself in the presentation scheme of things. Of course, no pressure and very flexible with where we are placed in the schedule.

Kind regards,
Rick Heinig
rheinig@stny.rr.com
Attachments:
open | download - 01 - Steam Car Chassis and Engine.docx (11.2 KB)
open | download - 01 - Steam Car Boiler and Burner.docx (11.4 KB)
August 22, 2017 01:02PM
Hi Jamison and Rick,

Sorry for not replying sooner, my dad underwent a valve replacement and things got a bit more disorganized than usual.

You're both on the roster. Thanks for volunteering!

Regards,

Ken
August 23, 2017 11:56AM
Ken,

Sorry about your dad....hope he is doing better. Thanks for putting me on the roster and will see you at the meet....are you bringing your steam bike?

Jamison
August 23, 2017 12:05PM
Hi Ken,
I spoke with Art this morning and I'm sure you know how he is with presentations. At this point, Art is not committing to a presentation. Please keep an opening for him...he may change his mind.

Also note that I can perform projector duties for presenters. This is so Tom's office personnel (Margery, not sure her name) do not need to sit through all this Steam Stuff.

Hope all is well with your Dad!

Kind regards,
Rick
August 23, 2017 01:41PM
Thanks much, Rick!

Naturally, not all Meet participants are on the Forum and --- even then --- I don't expect everyone who is to sign up ahead of time. As long as I have enough volunteers to get things off to a decent start, we can finish scheduling as we go along. Once you overcome inertia, things go much better. I think we're already doing better than usual, so every little bit extra will only help.

Dad's doing unbelievably well, so that's one more thing going right at the moment!

Regards,

Ken
September 05, 2017 08:41AM
Hi Guys,

So far we're up to about ten speakers and thirteen talks, and the meet is still more than a week off --- this may be some kind of record for a Berrien Springs event. Always hard to tell until the event is actually over, but it's shaping up to be one of the better meets in the last 20 years. Hope to see everyone there.

Regards,

Ken
September 10, 2017 07:03PM
The old car show at The Henry Ford / Greenfield Village has just passed. I met a number of SACA members including Tony Grzyb, Gary Hadden and "Red Hall". Especially thanks to Ron Rodgers for the many trips around the Village in his 1901 Locomobile Victoria.

Ken
September 10, 2017 08:05PM
Hi Ken,

Was great seeing you there and a pleasure to ride around with you. Even though I ran out of Kerosene which involved a short walk back smiling smiley You need good shoes to own a steam car.

Had a really good time, definitely headed back there next year.

I think we picked up a few new members, there was quite a bit of interest in steam cars there.

Thanks, Ron

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2017 08:06PM by IronChief.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All files from this thread

File Name File Size   Posted by Date  
01 - Steam Car Chassis and Engine.docx 11.2 KB open | download Rick.H 08/20/2017 Read message
01 - Steam Car Boiler and Burner.docx 11.4 KB open | download Rick.H 08/20/2017 Read message