Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Advanced

Steam Car Prototype

Posted by Tom Walker 
Tom Walker
Steam Car Prototype
February 10, 2004 09:02PM
Does anyone rembember the project in San Diego California in the 80's funded by William Lear to build a Modern Steam Car?"
Arnold Walker
Re: Steam Car Prototype
February 11, 2004 12:57AM
I think.You can look back about May in the forum and hit on a discussion about Lear.
Jim Crank
February 11, 2004 09:23AM
Tom,
The California Clear Air Car Program.
The Lear conversion of a Chevy Monte Carlo was made in Reno, Nevada. It was not a successful project. When I bought the remaining hardware of Lear Motors to build the land speed record car, I obtained that powerplant. It used a steam turbine.
The car made in San Diego was done by Dutcher Industries. It had a compound engine. I had that car donated to the Harrah Collection in Reno. I do not know if they still have it. You could call them and ask.
I also had the Besler car donated to the Collection, and they later sold it. Tom Kimmel has it now.
The other car was a converted Chevy Vega by Aerojet in Sacramento and it also used a turbine. Aerojet destroyed the car after the experiment was finished, upon advice of their legal staff. I tried to get that car donated too; but Aerojet refused.
Senator Nick Petrus loudly proclaimed in the press that he had the California State put up a prize of $25,000.000. for the succcessful developer of a clean burning automobile. Problem was that yes, they passed the legislation to award the prixe; but never allotted the funds. Typical grandstanding politician.
Jim
Ted Pritchard
February 12, 2004 09:42PM
Good Day Gentlemen,

Jim - You have provided some most interesting information. A great pity Nick Petrus was not one of the thirty five people I demonstrated the steam Falcon to - when we brought the car from Melbourne to Los Angeles in the 1970s! Where can I get a temporary Californian citizenship?!

Best Wishes,

Ted Pritchard
Jim Crank
February 13, 2004 09:33AM
Ted,
No so sure you want one, considering the way this state is going.
Petris was a typical slimy politician, always ready to attach his name to anything where he thought he could get some good press. Just like that comic relief from New York, Al Sharpton. Same type.
Assemblyman Frank Lanterman, whom I knew quite well, laughed about it. Said:"Sure we passed the bill, that's the easy part, getting the $25M is another matter."
Jim
Arnold Walker
February 13, 2004 11:18AM
He could change his name to Pedro and get permanent citizenship with sponsership for 5000 relatives....politicians on both sides of the asile and Mexico would go for that.Though Mexico has thier army shoot hell out of half the illegals. And 20 years at hard labor for the rest coming across Mexico's south borders from poorer nations.
Charlie Lorance
August 05, 2004 12:29PM
I found this discussion while looking for information about Dutcher Industries. The reason? The car is FOR SALE on Ebay !!! It's item number 248595642. The information provided is scant, to say the least. (Probably provided by some museum staff who's not familiar with the car.) They say the engine is a mock-up, but looks functional in the accompanying pics.
Garry Hunsaker
August 05, 2004 12:56PM
[cgi.ebay.com]

The above is the link to the Dutcher car being sold on Ebay. But, $16,000 for what may be only a mock up seems a bit pricy.
Garry
August 05, 2004 01:25PM
Note: no bids at $16,000 and the reserve is not met. The price they wont is higher. In the pictures of engine compartment the working look real enough. But I suppose it could be a mock up. Then that discription could just be the muck up.

Andy
Graeme Vagg
August 05, 2004 05:03PM
The Dutcher car mentioned by Jim is now offered for auction on E-Bay at:
[cgi.ebay.com]

The technical details shown are not very good and the type of engine (or mock up used) is not clear either. The pictures are worth looking at.

Graeme
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login