July 07, 2016 08:07AM
YouTube Clips, Russian Projects:

Trike

Boat

Bike
Re: From my "In-Box"
July 08, 2016 04:31AM
Greetings Gospodin Kensky,

Videos have been viewed with much entertainment.

Temptation is to have the laughter at "primitive Russian", but last time this was done, result was thing called "Sputnik". Future American laughing therefore not advised. Russian kid achieves vapor propulsion; Americans still running on "infernal" combustion need building to catch up with achievement.

Tricycle and boat videos show admirable simplicity machines correctly propelled by water vapor; motorcycle video is of "GAZO GENERATOR" if Petesky's understanding of Cyrillic alphabet on powerplant is correct. Western expression for this is "gasogene" or "wood gas". Not Russian invention; more important not vapor of water, but only combustion of inside cylinder, so of course inferior.

Complements on video llnks. Petesky out.

Petro Borov

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2016 04:41AM by Peter Brow.
July 10, 2016 11:24AM
The Russian steam trike and the steam boat were both done with simplicity and only using only the basics of steam knowledge. Both steamers are a bit too simple to be safe, but none the less, successful transportation. Reminds me of the USA's first space travel. USA astronauts found that the ball point ink pen would not work in zero gravity. Tens of thousands of our tax dollars were spent to make an ink pent that would write in outer space. The Russians already had us beat on this space problem. The Russians were already using a regular pencil to do all of their zero gravity space writing. Simple but effective.
July 10, 2016 07:03PM
In the presence of these two steam "vehicles", the ASME boiler code book would literally spontaneously incinerate smiling smiley

Lots of scary Youtube videos out there with folks doing very dangerous things i.e. building fires under air compressor tanks that they argue are "certified to 150 psi", boilers built out of propane tanks, etc. I will typically comment and try to explain why they are going to blow themselves up or scald themselves badly and hopefully it has helped. I get the "oh you're just brainwashed" and then they go on to write things like boiler inspectors work for the government and just give people a hard time for no reason smiling smiley

They have zero understanding of too-thin "super heated boiler surfaces" (fire impinged on surfaces above the water level) that can weaken quickly and fail causing the boiler waters immediate expansion in to scalding steam. It would sure take the fun out of DIY.

One in particular, the chap built a boiler out of a large tin can, in the video demonstration, the ends are all puffed out ready to let go. Even a small amount of 300° water can injure someone badly.

-Ron
July 11, 2016 12:57AM
Everyone who has ventured into space has learned the hard way that the absence of gravity complicates the simplest tasks. I have heard the story about the Russian pencils, too. It may even be true. It doesn't really matter.

FOD (foreign object debris) is probably the astronaut's (or cosmonaut's) worst enemy. Having worked in semiconductor and aerospace clean rooms for decades, I can't think of a more serious offender than a common pencil.

There is good reason why hammers sometimes cost $600.

Kerry
July 11, 2016 04:32AM
Greetings to fellow Earth humans,

Mister Pete was considering of ditching temporary humorous fake-Russian internet persona, but has re-considered after positive feedback from actual Russian friends with usual excellent sense of humor and [frankly] better command of English language than Mr. Pete in "normal voice".

Actual figure of cost of "Fisher Space Pen" developed by US space effort was, in Gospodin Petroushchka's recollection, in six to seven figures US dollars of ancient times. Russians used off the shelf pencil at zero extra expense. This has been called result-oriented thinking"; reportedly once popular among believers in thing called "Yankee ingenuity". Apparently this is illegal in US of A since at least 1950s, when popular capitalist leader Eisenhower began criticism of "military-industrial complex". Non-Yankee/now-wild-Texas G. Petro's conclusion is that "Camel is horse designed by Committee", expression likely to elicit grins even from persons disinclined to follow implicit advice. Humorless/Offense-taking Official Procedure followers are of course perennial great source of humor everywhere, and must be encouraged/provoked for purpose of popular levity.

Paranoid over-regulations of safety have many times been said to be worthy of putting up the butt. Reply: "Obey Tsar without question". G. Petrov of course will not in public agree with such assessments. Heh, humor, ass-essments.

There is most definitely a reason why US Government hammers cost $600. Very, very many reasons, in fact. _Good_ reasons? Well, the word "good" has been used in many ways. smiling smiley

Gospodin Petrov out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2016 04:36AM by Peter Brow.
July 11, 2016 12:09PM
Y'know, way back when I was in the Navy I purchased some "Fisher Space Pens" out of my own meager earnings. Various naval logs MUST be written in pen as they are both real time documentation of conditions and events as well as legal records; in case of an investigation (say someone accidentally rams another vessel or some section of the propulsion plant goes Kablooie!) they don't want records done in pencil which can be easily altered with an eraser. This is also why they don't type the log up afterwards and produce a "smooth" copy...the "rough" copy is much harder to edit after the fact.

Unfortunately, taking logs on the engine room lower level of a Nimitz class carrier requires walking around with a clipboard while recording instrument readings and making notes as you change equipment status. Given the wild profusion of machinery, pipes, valves, electrical cable runs and what-not, there's often no good place to put the clipboard as you stop to jot an entry. Those Space Pens were worth my money! I could just shove the board against the bulkhead (wall to you wogs and land lubbers) and write on the vertical sheet. The cheap, standard navy issue pens would choke after a word or two and end up causing needless frustration --- so I consider those high tech pens to be a real marvel.

Ken
July 12, 2016 12:33AM
I have to admit that I had a Fisher Space Pen too, mainly as a curio. I never had a situation where its anti-gravity characteristics came in handy, but it was a good pen. Alas, it slipped out of a box while moving and I accidentally stepped on it. Crunch. That probably doesn't happen in space. But I liked it enough to buy another, one of these days.

The closest I get to "fictitious Russian character's" view of excessive safety is some parts where sticking with off the shelf parts led to a choice between not enough margin of safety for my taste, and parts built for vastly higher pressures or loads, which are much bigger, heavier, etc than I would like. In some cases there's nothing in between, and it's not really practical to make something in between myself. So, parts 20-30 times as strong as needed is annoying overkill, but that's what I end up with sometimes.

Peter
July 12, 2016 09:37PM
Remember those $600hammers and $1000 dollar toilet seats helped fund black projects.... SR 71 comes to mind! rp
July 14, 2016 10:49AM
A lot of that supposed waste was intentionally fraudulent reporting. Senator Proxmire used to promote this stuff all the time in his campaign to make government more efficient. The problem was that Congress set it all up. Contracts were written so that suppliers itemized expenses and then the military had to attempt to review tens of thousands of entries. Why not simply ask for bids and give the contract to the low bidder? If they cut costs and make a bigger profit, fine! If they bungle the project and lose money, tough luck!

I remember the hammer well, it and other items were on a Christmas tree that Proxmire used to show government waste. Problem was, every single item came from Defense Department reports on project oversight and listing items for which they were denying payment! So Proxmire's "waste" came from a process Congress (of which he was a part) initiated and represented things that military auditors refused to pay for.

I have to note that the good Senator never opposed a dairy subsidy to the farmers in his state although why taxpayers needed to be involved in farm production had always been questionable.

The toilet seat was another issue. The cost was quite reasonable. Let me explain, it was an injection molded plastic part that was custom made specifically to fit that one model of aircraft. Given the price of injection mold tooling and the number of parts made, the cost was in line. What no one seemed to ask was why the design process didn't include identifying and using compatible off-the-shelf components of much lower cost.

For real waste ask why Congress passed a law requiring naval vessels to be overhauled within a certain distance of their home port. (The Navy was sending ships based in Mississippi to places like Virginia because the local shipyard was so very expensive --- of course, Congress couldn't tolerate the military saving money when there were constituents demanding their jobs be protected. Also see how many acquisition programs Congress funds against the advice of the military, the original F-18 was one of these as the plane's capabilities were insufficient compared to the F-14 compared to price. Yep, the F-18 became a success .... after they designed a whole new airplane of larger size that just "happens" to look like the earlier model and then gave it the same name... That was better than admitting a mistake was made....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login