Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Advanced

Steam musing

Posted by IronChief 
Steam musing
November 27, 2015 11:16PM
Here is a revolutionary idea, can't understand why these never made it to market.

I thought you all would get a kick out of this pic I ran across the other day "Steam wheels"

Not sure what gave them the idea this 24 cylinder condenser idea would be so fuel efficient. The thermal losses would have been horrific. Insulation would have been virtually impossible; can you imagine driving in the rain? And it "propels you ever forward" no mention of reversing, I guess that was a luxury they thought people wouldn't miss with that "2000 mile range". It is amazing how badly some visionaries can overlook fundamental basics of steam design like thermal loss. If it isn't making steam, it's getting rid of it. These wheels would have condensed and gobbled steam like theres no tomorrow. Even Richard Trevithick in the very early 1800's mounted the cylinder in the boiler to prevent loss. Not sure why more designers didn't go that route. The Naptha launches designed by Ofeldt had the cylinder mounted inside the "boiler".

Best part of this design is the big hoop on top for hanging it on a wall.

-Ron
Re: Steam musing
November 30, 2015 07:45AM
For the life of me, I can't understand why so many automobile developers over the years have difficulty grasping the concept of "unsprung weight". Ride, handling and braking is never going to improve by adding weight to the wheels. Of course, now it is hub mounted electric motors....

Re: Steam musing
November 30, 2015 10:24AM
Just got my bulletin, the picture I posted is in there, how coincidental. It must have good search engine popularity and is coming up frequently in steam related pic searches.

-Ron
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All files from this thread

File Name File Size   Posted by Date  
Bergmann.png 124.4 KB open | download frustrated 11/30/2015 Read message
Williams 1.png 313.9 KB open | download frustrated 11/30/2015 Read message
Williams 2.png 312.7 KB open | download frustrated 11/30/2015 Read message
Waltz.png 241.3 KB open | download frustrated 11/30/2015 Read message
Hyde.png 95.3 KB open | download frustrated 11/30/2015 Read message