Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Advanced

Bulletin V29, N2 President Notes

Posted by kdc2 
Bulletin V29, N2 President Notes
November 22, 2015 03:57AM
While this might belong in a different forum, and/or simply addressed to Ken, I think this topic may also help support some of the gist of his message.

I thouroughly enjoyed reading the President's Notes in the latest Bulletin. Here is why:
1. It felt as if coming straight from his heart, not coerced, demonstrating an ability to take on leadership (while concealing the stress that was no doubt present as suggested).
2. Well defined and presented thoughts on how you can't please everyone.
3. Open ambience stance while still getting his message through.
4. Implementing example of said openess by including input from other members.
5. Good general communications with the simple goal of building a better club for the members.

Well done Ken, and I hope you truly aren't looking for a replacement, and using that to enforce your message smiling smiley

I am curious in how others processed the President's Notes?

Now I have to read the rest of the bulletin. -Keith D
Re: Bulletin V29, N2 President Notes
November 22, 2015 08:01AM
Keith-

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Ken is doing an outstanding job as our new Prez and-Let's face it-Tom Kimmel is a hard act to follow!

Ken's knowledge of steam-related patents is of great benefit to the Club, and he's constantly coming up with new ideas about steam related projects/subjects.

The shame of it all is that he's still employed-so he has minimal time to devote to his own steam projects.

Just my 2 cents.....

Chuk
December 07, 2015 06:54PM
I never received this issue of the bulletin so I cant speak to it. As luck would have it, I have to manually renew my membership.
December 07, 2015 11:52PM
I would like to add whatever I can to applaud Ken Helmick's achievement as president of SACA. IMO if there was ever a more suitable person for the job I would be quite surprised.

Sorry Ken,----you are the MAN here!

I could gush over this man's skills and experience--but I know he will demonstrate them by himself. I hope all members will respect the effort Ken has dedicated himself to.

FWIW, Bill
December 08, 2015 12:46AM
Personally I like Ken he made a post for me on another forum(it was years ago), it was defiantly appreciated.

http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,146641.msg1006125.html#msg1006125
December 09, 2015 02:41PM
Well I finally got my issue of the bulletin. After about five minutes reading the President Notes I lost interest and didn't finish the article.

Instead I was wondering what happened to this fellow [www.steamautomobile.com]

In short the criticism here is too negative. If its not a safety factor allow them to make there own mistakes. Its the journey.
December 10, 2015 09:12AM
I thought it was a great issue and I liked seeing the Doble Truck on the front cover. I never saw that photo before.
But the caption on the inside of the cover I did not understand. How do you make a V4 triple expansion?
Rolly
December 10, 2015 10:43AM
Hi Rollie,

You make a V4 Triple expansion the same way they made 4 cylinder, triple expansion battleship engines, the third stage is comprised of two cylinders each having half the volume of a single LP cylinder. In a V4 this would best be done by putting an LP cylinder on each vee bank; this would cause their reciprocating primary unbalance forces to resolve into a rotating force that you could counterbalance with a crankshaft counterweight. You'll be left with a much smaller side to side rocking force that is about 30% canceled and part of that shake can be converted to a rocking couple by the HP and MP cylinders also on either side of the vee.

I have to admit, I kind of like a 4 cylinder triple, it limits the LP cylinder size to crazy rather than purely insane...

Regards,

Ken
December 10, 2015 12:30PM
I must have been sleeping
The same thing I did with my three cylinder compound, one high two low’s
Rolly
December 11, 2015 01:43AM
Ken,

I think you are doing a great job. The presidents notes are interesting and I like your style. Good work, and I know it isn't that easy.

I am glad you like the V4 triple compound. I had thought that the future for the compound had been killed off for automobiles and relegated to only boat engines or anchors. You know I protest that. (:}|)

Best Regards,

Bill G.
December 11, 2015 09:58AM
FWIW, my comment was on an earlier publication than the latest with the Doble Truck. But I'm wondering if I made a typo in N2...I can't find the bulletin to double check. The Doble truck bulletin is N6. -Keith D
December 12, 2015 12:30PM
That's correct Keith, I saw that mistake but just looked past it.
December 14, 2015 04:41PM
I am glad that Ken is doing the job. He did not ask for the Vice-president job and did not ask for the president job, but once in place, he takes the responsibility seriously. Because of our widely scattered membership it is not easy to get a group together to help with the work, it is usually a one-man show and not the fault of the one man. Ken has also done a lot of work on the new Storeroom offerings and on the new club website, almost ready to show. There is a lot of grunt work in this business. Tom Kimmel
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login