Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Advanced

Besler Steam Engine V2

Posted by HYDRAGON 
Besler Steam Engine V2
October 12, 2015 07:04AM
What speed you could reach with the Besler V2 engine in a light car,it has got 200hp.
Re: Besler Steam Engine V2
October 12, 2015 08:15AM
It is a function of the horse power and aerodynamics rather than the source of power, however I doubt it would be a light car! A 200 hp steam generator is big!
October 12, 2015 12:39PM
What Besler V-2 engine? He made quite a few. Picture please.
Jim
October 12, 2015 01:38PM
Doesn't Tom K have one of these?
October 12, 2015 03:32PM
Jeremy,
Yes, the one in the converted G.M. Chevy.
The other ones are the little one that ran the battery charging generator in the blue Goose about 15-20 hp. that was or is in some car a guy was trying to palm off as the Doble Simplex; but was Charlie Briar's homemade car.
Then the second airplane engine is in the Smithsonian in that mockup Besler made of his first airplane plant. Las I heard it was never on exhibit and was rotting away in some Silver Hills, Maryland storage warehouse
Jim
October 13, 2015 07:28AM
Jim
What about the two engines in the Yacht, I seam to remember they were four cylinder V compounds, exhausting into low pressure turbines.
Rolly
October 13, 2015 12:30PM
Rolly,
I think you are talking about the proposed landing barge engines which were to have those power recovery turbines. those were never built. That big yacht proposal plant for Consolidated Shipbuilding in New York was also never built.
Bill's yacht "Colleen" had two 200 hp compounds and no turbine.
Jim
October 13, 2015 01:59PM
Yes those are the two 200 HP four cylinder double compounds I was thinking of. I could not remember the name of the yacht. Steam generator in the stack. Thanks.
Rolly
October 13, 2015 10:46PM
Chris, the burner on one of Leno's Doble's put out up to 2 million btu approximately , which is 768 hp of heat in and it isn't that big. A lamont generator would be a bit lighter as it doesn't require as much tubing for the same output.
Jim, please correct me if I am wrong on this.
October 16, 2015 05:51AM
October 16, 2015 05:52AM
October 16, 2015 01:06PM
Hydragon,
One question. Why are the blueprint so unreadable, There is absolutely no excuse for this today.
I have the report and drawings in my archive and they are clear as can be.
The point being, if the prints are so bad the members cannot even see them, then forget putting such garbage on our forum. The members deserve better.
Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2015 02:53PM by Jim Crank.
October 17, 2015 04:54AM
Hi Jim

Have to say it's a bit harsh calling these documents garbage.
To be fair Hydragon and I were only linking to available resources. The Flying Kettle copy is broken into three parts, (text, drawings and photos) so the blueprint is unfortunately as clear as any I've seen. [stinet.dtic.mil] Is the only site I've found with reasonable quality copies and even then the resolution of the drawings are poor. The club does offer for sale copies of some of the documents but not sure how I would stand scanning them and posting here.
Not all collectors like to share their prizes and I can only thank the likes of Tom Kimmel and this club for allowing me access to their resources.

Brian
October 18, 2015 02:15PM
Brian,
If one cannot read the drawings, what good are they? Best not to even post them.
Then there is the situation of thinking you can just post everything even if they belong to someone else.
Jim
October 18, 2015 03:40PM
Hi Jim

I agree with both your points in principle. Not good to post without giving credit to original source, worse to blatantly steal it. In this case I assume Flying Kettle downloaded the document from the Defence Technical Information Centre which I think is a scan of a microfiche hence the poor reproduction. For a long time this was the only version I had access to until the SACA store made copies available. So the question arises, is a poor copy of good information better than none at all?

Brian

ps After a bit of searching I found the origin of this document to a Yahoo group back in 2002 and the original source was the Ruth H. Hooker Library at Naval Research Laboratory.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2015 05:21PM by Brian McMorran.
October 19, 2015 12:31PM
Brian,
No it's not. Besides who is going to do anything with the data on that second airplane engine? Nothing in that plant was new and it dated back to 1928-1934 anyhow.
In this case good copies have always been available and anything from microfiche was always worthless, an ancient copying method that by now has to be seventy years old. Good paper copies have always been available from the O.N.R.
Jim
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login