Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Advanced

Whatzit?

Posted by oldnrusty1 
Whatzit?
September 05, 2015 10:03PM
Hello,

Picked up this step plate in my travels. I think it's steamer. Can anyone tell me what it goes too?

oldnrusty1

Re: Whatzit?
September 06, 2015 03:33AM
Unless someone can recognize it as to a specific vehicle a lot of early carriage hardware was used on the early cars.

Look at the back step of a pony cart I built. In researching carriage hardware I came across a lot of stuff that looked the same as used on a lot of early cars.

Rolly

September 06, 2015 07:48AM
Hello Rolly,

Yes, step plates can be found in any antique store However I've seen hundreds of step plates and never seen one with the big support rod hole in the main beam except in steamer pictures. I first thought it might be Locomobile but the step plate seems to want a linoleum piece for the foot and then I thought that it might be early Stanley. PS; Greatly enjoyed the photos of your EX build. At the time I had two very dead EX engines. Thought about doing the same but I got cold feet The masters make it look easy to us window shoppers.

oldnrusty1
September 06, 2015 08:11AM
I don’t recognize it as a Stanley part.
At first I thought it might be from and early White, but that hole is for something else.
Just don’t know.
Rolly

[www.steamcar.net]
September 06, 2015 08:31AM
The boss with hole is for a pivot rod for the brakes. It went from one step to the other of the exact same design on the other side of the vehicle. As it is with most of the engineering on these early cars the design was brilliant, not only did it provide a pivot, it also served to support the loading on the step, as it was just mounted to the wood frame. As far as what was on the top of the step, there were different configurations, some were just steel, some steel wrapped with leather, some with a brass applique with the makers Script. There is no way to know exactly what car it came from, there were about a hundred different vehicle concerns and startups at that time, all copying from one another.

-Ron

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2015 12:12PM by IronChief.
September 06, 2015 01:16PM
Wow, meeting another guy who I followed, IronChief. Greatly enjoyed the Locomobile build. I do hope to someday build an 1899 Locomobile with all the 1899 warts and worries. Right now I only have a bootbox of parts and a few Locomobile engines. but earlier this week I moved my oldest engine serial number from the 400s to the 300s. Woohoo, yup, picking up speed!

Rolly enclosed is a Locomobile drawing of why I thought the step plate was Locomobile or early Stanley.

Oldnrusty1

September 06, 2015 02:16PM
I did a lot of work on this 1901 Locomobile. I never noticed the step plate.
This side is not the same as yours but I don’t have a good photo of the other side.
Rolly

September 07, 2015 10:14AM
I have a few pics of the other side of Bob's Locomobile. One shows the step a bit better.

He has been a huge help in my build.

Included a few pics of mine in it's current state.

-Ron

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2015 10:21AM by IronChief.

September 08, 2015 07:26AM
Ron
You’re doing a very nice job. How close to being finished? Lots of nice detail.
What are you running for a burner? Are you running superheat?

Rolly

The steps look the same on both sides.
September 08, 2015 02:53PM
Rolly,

Thanks, I admire your work as well.

I will have it completely finished this winter. Lots of little jobs to do on it yet. I'm going to give the leather upholstery a shot. I have the leather already for that. And I think I have it figured out how to proceed. Will try to make it look like the original seat with the box frame and springs, but it will all be foam.

The Burner is similar to the Ofeldt Blue Flame. Tony Grzyb made a version of it that worked on gasoline, and as a favor, he made one for me, but it wouldn't work on kerosene. I made a lot of changes to it to burn kero. More air, more heat on the vaporizer, move the branches down etc. Mine runs white fuel for the pilot and and kerosene on the main burner. Pilot fuel at 15 psi and main burner at 50ish psi.

Yes, superheater is a loop 1/2" sched80 seamless over the burner, makes her smack out the exhaust pretty good smiling smiley

-Ron

October 01, 2015 10:10PM
Hello, Went to the Stanley Museum today and had my step plate with me. The step plate is a twin to the one on the 1905 CX Stanley that they display. Oldnrusty1

October 02, 2015 06:31AM
Nice catch!
October 02, 2015 08:26AM
Mystery solved thumbs up.

-Ron
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login