Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Advanced

Porous Ceramic Burner

Posted by dullfig 
Porous Ceramic Burner
February 10, 2015 01:42AM
Hello all:

I found this paper on combustion in porous ceramic. It seems that a burner made of porous ceramic has a lot of interesting benefits, like flameless combustion, 1:30 turn down ratio, and 10 times the power density of open flames. They built an experimental boiler (they call it heat exchanger) that puts out 30kw of power in a unit that is aprox. 16" in diameter buy 6" tall. The cross sections of the unit are about page 61.

The paper is a bit boring to read, but the information is worth it I think.

One of the interesting things is they have the water coil buried in ceramic beads. Says it improves heat transfer something like tenfold. Filling a monotube with beads should not be so hard to do. Could be worth a try

Dan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2015 08:29AM by dullfig.
Re: Porous Ceramic Burner
February 10, 2015 01:45AM
here is a link to the paper online

Compact Porous Burner and Heat Exchanger
February 10, 2015 04:43PM
My head is now buzzing after ploughing through that!

The British LSR steamer had a radiant matrix burners where the gas burned within or possibly on the surface of ceramic panels. The burners were supplied from Germany and very little technical information was given out. I guess this paper tells us something of how it worked.

Mike
February 10, 2015 05:27PM
Interesting that there was a paper on this topic! I've known about the related patent for a number of years but it didn't provide a lot of information. Between the paper and the patent a lot of holes get filled up.

Regards,

Ken
Attachments:
open | download - Graduated porosity burner.pdf (138.2 KB)
February 11, 2015 10:00AM
Interesting patent. The foam mentioned in the report (ZrO2) is actually an off the shelf (sorta) item. I gotta try this burner somehow. Did you see the NOX readings?

The pancake arrangement is interesting.

Dan
February 15, 2015 01:50AM
There is a bunch of zirconia foam sold on ebay as filters for casting metals. Bought a couple, gonna try rigging a burner see how well it works.

Dan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All files from this thread

File Name File Size   Posted by Date  
Graduated porosity burner.pdf 138.2 KB open | download frustrated 02/10/2015 Read message