Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Advanced

Once through boiler calculations

Posted by dullfig 
Once through boiler calculations
January 25, 2015 10:26PM
Hello all:

ok, maybe this question seems vague. There is a lot of anecdotal information on the internet about different once through steam generators, but it is not very clear to me how one goes about designing a steam generator from scratch. I could use some advice on this. Like figuring out tubing diameter and thickness, heat transfer through the tubing wall, how long a tube you need, that sort of thing. Are there books on the subject? I'm afraid that a book on boilers is just going to go a lot into powerplant engineering, and I'm not sure it applies to cars very much.

Thanks.

Dan
Re: Once through boiler calculations
January 25, 2015 11:49PM
Go to local used book stores and dig for mid 1950's or earlier(earlier is generally better) Kent's Mechanical Engineers Handbook or Mechanical Engineers Handbook by Marks.

Then get ready to spend more time then you can imagine over the next few years getting it all straight in your head.

Caleb Ramsby
January 26, 2015 12:11AM
Hey Dan,

Another thing, although I use speadsheets a LOT to do calculations(which I frequently get grief for), I don't use any formulas in the spreadsheets that I didn't already spend a lot of time doing firstly by hand, thus cementing them in my head and making sure I actually knew what I was doing.

I can not suggest strongly enough that anyone reading this that wants to use a computer to do all their figurin' first learn to do it the hard way.

It was the same thing when I was blacksmithing, sure you could just leap to the powerhammer and produce a lot of stuff, but skipping doing it by hand until you know what you are doing will just mean that you are making more mistakes in less time and one heck of a mess.

Caleb Ramsby
January 26, 2015 04:57PM
Hi Dan

Not having a proper education I found "The Mechanical and Heat Transfer Design of the Mobile Steam Society (MSS) Mark II Steam Generator" very useful in understanding how 'adults' designed steam generators. Later I studied the Doble notebooks available from the SACA storeroom and online at the Bancroft Library. Another interesting read is Experimental Flash Steam by Benson & Rayman. If you search this forum back over the years there is different views on pipe dimensions and fluid velocity.
Hope the following is useful.

[www.steamautomobile.com]

[www.steamautomobile.com]

[www.oac.cdlib.org]
January 26, 2015 07:06PM
Brian McMorran Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Dan
>
> Not having a proper education I found "The
> Mechanical and Heat Transfer Design of the Mobile
> Steam Society (MSS) Mark II Steam Generator" very
> useful in understanding how 'adults' designed
> steam generators. Later I studied the Doble
> notebooks available from the SACA storeroom and
> online at the Bancroft Library. Another
> interesting read is Experimental Flash Steam by
> Benson & Rayman. If you search this forum back
> over the years there is different views on pipe
> dimensions and fluid velocity.
> Hope the following is useful.
>
> [www.steamautomobile.com].
> CV01.pdf
>
> [www.steamautomobile.com]
> index.php
>
> [www.oac.cdlib.org]
> 14h4/

Thanks!

Dan
January 27, 2015 12:27AM
Brian:

I looked for the first paper you mention, but it doesn't seem to be in the catalog.

Dan
January 27, 2015 02:47AM
Hi Dan

The first link should open a pdf copy of The Steam Automobile Vol. 17 No. 3 1975. Article on page 20.

Brian
February 01, 2015 10:26AM
Hi Folks

I had forgotten about the 1973 International Harvester steam generator for automobile report. I haven't read it all but loads of information.
[nepis.epa.gov]

Brian
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login