Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Advanced

Thomas Hindle's Doble F34

Posted by Brian McMorran 
Thomas Hindle's Doble F34
February 01, 2014 09:37AM
Hi Folks

David Dugmore Banks, a respected British engineer, would like to make contact with the owner of Doble F34. David worked for Thomas Hindle during the period Thomas owned F34 and was heavily involved with Thomas's steam projects. David and Thomas are mentioned in the Steam Automobile page 7 of V15 No2 1973. I would be grateful to anyone able to help David and privacy will be respected
Private Messages or email from the club register can be used.

Brian McMorran
Re: Thomas Hindle's Doble F34
February 01, 2014 11:46AM
Brian,

Doble F-34 was originally shipped as a new car to Sentinel. Now owned by Norman Shanklin and being completely restored to factory new condition, after being rather seriously abused by previous owners.
I sent Norm all the F component drawings I have to assist in the restoration.
F-34 is the only real Series F car left. F-30 was an E chassis and engine, while F-34 was a Model 60 Buick.

I tried to attach the Doble shipping list for you; but it refused to open when looking at it after posting it. Indeed, our forum system needs work, including a bigger attachment capacity too.
Will try once more than forget it until our web master goes to work. Ok, it won't open.

Jim

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2014 01:29PM by Jim Crank.
Attachments:
open | download - Doble Shipping List .doc (47.5 KB)
February 01, 2014 01:49PM
Thank you Jim.

Is this the same Norman Shanklin who has a private Heliport at Wilton? If so I then have his full address to forward to David Banks as I think he has some information to share.
David told me that Thomas Hindle did not buy F34 straight from Sentinel, another person bought it then sold it quickly on to Thomas. David wasn't sure on the name but if I get the detail I will contact you. I am told F34 was caught in a six foot flood and restored before being sold to Leslie Goldsmith just before Thomas Hindle's death in 1972. Leslie Goldsmith died prior to 1976 and I guess Wolfgang Gawor acquired it around then.

Brian
February 01, 2014 04:55PM
Brian,

The same guy. I know the car was studied extensively at Sentinel; but was kept in fine condition there. This from Arthur Riley, the parts dept. manager/father of the man who owned the sports car shop where my first race car got TLC. Arthur worked at Sentinel when Abner was there and knew and drove F-34 along with the reheat triple Doble-Sentinel truck. Said the truck was frighteningly fast and very powerful.
After that, judging from the awful condition I saw from the huge file of photos Norm sent me, several butchers really had a field day messing up the car. Gawor was too stupid to even touch the car and tried several times to get me to work on it for him if he shipped it out here, I refused. After he died, Norm bought the car from Mrs. Gawor.
Charlie Johnson is doing the restoration and after seeing his work, F-34 is going to be a real beauty and run as it can. Do say HI to Norm for me.

Jim
February 02, 2014 11:17AM
Brian,
I had received a large amount of data on F-34 from Peter Lewis in England a while back and its complete rebuild at that time.
The story was that when Lewis and his father completed the rebuilding of this "F" Buick the owner died and the car went to someone else
eventually to the Gower museum. I do know who has and is rebuilding the car at this time. What years was it in the hands of Hindle?
It appears that a lot of damage was done to the car after its beautiful restoration by Peter Lewis, his steam engineer father was editor of
"Boiler House Review", friend of Abner and became owner of Abners personal Doble. Didn't know that Thomas Hindle was involved in this
lengthy story.

GeorgeN
February 02, 2014 11:21AM
Jim,
Please remember that I had collected the photos and sent you a copy long before I eventually sent them to Norm, I had sent
you the complete array of letters and photos for your book long before Norm had them.
George
February 02, 2014 12:14PM
George,
I remember and all the photos are cataloged and on file awaiting publishing of the Doble book.
Norm sent a huge bunch of digital photos showing the present condition of the car right after he bought it from Mrs. Gawor. The mess happened obviously after Peter had restored the car. I have a good suspicion who the culprit was.
Jim
February 02, 2014 01:32PM
George

The story that I have is that Sentinels used F-34 as a test bed and a new generator was fitted before it was parked up. Peter Lewis in describing the restoration of F-34 mentions a G.C. Cheswick being owner before Thomas Hindle who took ownership post war certainly by 1953 when he had a Doble auxiliary engine to play with. Thomas owned F-34 till 1972 when he sold it to Leslie Goldsmith as mentioned in the 1973 Steam Automobile No. 2.
Light Steam Power 1978 XXVII No. 1 & 2 carries an article by Peter Lewis on the restoration of F-34 starting in 1974 but no mention of the new owner. Leslie Goldsmith died before 1976 so it would fit your timeline that the owner died during restoration as it was completed in 1977. This does not discount David Banks description of the restoration but I may have misunderstood his timeline. This I hope to confirm soon.
Barry Herbert on page 50 of his book states that the late Reg Parsons was a previous owner of F-34.

Brian
February 04, 2014 09:23AM
Several years ago I stopped in to see Charlie Johnson and to see F-34. The car was not there only parts of the engine and generator. The frame had been sent off to someone to restore. And as I understood Charlie another shop was going to restore the car and Charlie was going to do the installation of the generator and components. All this might have changed since. I’ve stopped by several times since and the old generator and other parts were still in a pile. The last two years Charlie restored a car for Auburn heights, and several months ago he started on another Stanley.
Rolly
February 04, 2014 10:14AM
Brian,
Thanks for the info, the dates/timeline seem reasonable. My lengthy correspondences with Peter Lewis started in 2001 into 2002
and my interested buyer friend and I got new passports in 2001 in expectation of going to England and going over the car. Peter sent a great deal of writings and pictures of the car as when it was refinished and it looked marvelous in every way. He had mounted a plaque under the bonnet after the boiler had been rebuilt showing the dates of the restoration. The inside and outside of the car has also been completely done and the plastic was still on all the new upholstery. He had mentioned his great dismay when he travelet to see the car years after its restoration
(in the hands of Gawer?/) and everything was all torn apart, the boiler in disarray and the back seat of F-34 full of parts, He was so broken hearted that he said he never wanted to see the car again!
By the way his father Harmon Lewis was editor of "Boilerhouse Review" that had several articles in it by Abner was was a good friend of Harman's. Interesting that Harman, a great steam engineer, bought Abners Doble for cash on a corner of Hyde park. Peter reflected on he and his older brother "egging the old man on" to go out in the Doble and see how fast she would do. Great memories.
Whoever tore the car apart and left the pieces of everything in the back seat, the car in utter disrepair is unknown to me.

GeorgeN
February 04, 2014 12:07PM
George,
As far as I can tell, the vandalism definitely happened after Peter restored the car to a fine degree. Doesn't leave too much to the imagination who did the damage, does it. A man long known as a butcher of steam cars in England.
Gawor's big idea was that I get the car running, then he wanted to jack the body up a foot on the frame and fit slide out drawers in the space for traveling trunks, calling it a Doble Royale.
The many photos that Norm sent after he bought the car showed all the damage. Sounds like something went amiss with the restoration. Too bad, because this is the only real Series F in existence.
Jim
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All files from this thread

File Name File Size   Posted by Date  
Doble Shipping List .doc 47.5 KB open | download Jim Crank 02/01/2014 Read message