Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Advanced

Burner nozzle

Posted by kdc2 
Burner nozzle
June 14, 2012 07:05AM
Finally, after a year hiatus of metrology machine build distractions, starting up the proto build. Here are some pics of the burner nozzle. Simple manually positioned multistage babbington. Darn o-rings were misbehaving so I had to grind them. Never thought a dash 001-1/2 would be too big. eye popping smiley

Keith

Re: Burner nozzle
June 15, 2012 01:49PM
Keith - nice bit of work but can you expain how it works. I've seen pictures of a Babbington nozzle but yours looks quite different. Thanks.
Mike
June 15, 2012 11:46PM
Hi Mike,

Not much different. Keep in mind this is a proto, and I have a lot of testing to do. This setup, more involved than most babbingtons, just gives me access to all things variable. Temperatures, flow etc. Fuel partical size, burn rates etc. Saw one of the crosshead/piston rod assembly's in the cropped section so throwing it in too. Cheers, Keith

BTW, there is a variable speed positive displacement fuel pump and a variable speed squirrel cage blower off pic. No where near enough air flow through the orifices for complete burn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2012 11:59PM by kdc2.

June 17, 2012 04:15PM
The nice thing about the Babington is that fuel quality can be really bad including french fries and large chunks of things in the oil. The internal gear or some kind of vane pump merely has to lift the fuel from a tank a couple of feet up to the burner where it leaks out over a rounded surface. There is quite an overflow that drains down to the tank. In order to have some variability in the fire one needs multiple air holes of about 20 thousandths. I designed one with three holes and quarter turn valves for the air supply. It almost worked. Keep working Keith. Everything starts with a good fire. Tom Kimmel
June 19, 2012 10:13AM
Ken,
Had a very nice talk with Babington decads ago when searching for a really good air aspirated nozzle. I believe he said that it could not be forced much above 1-1/2GPH fuel rate, its atomizing properties were amazing.
George
June 19, 2012 12:36PM
Hi George,

Thanks for the info. I should have data shortly that correlates the fluid film thickness, air temp, fuid temp and air flow vs. fuel consumption per orifice. This proto nozzle has 4 orifices. I have another that has 8. Should be able to accurately estimate fuel consuption from there. Then the fun part of determining heat capture efficiency from there, combined with the conversion to work.

For extra fun, here is a video of the low end expander assembly with gimbal mount for accurate dyno data:
gimbal mount

Keith

P.S.Link looks goofy in preview, so may need some editing. Can't use spaces in the url address I guess.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2012 12:40PM by kdc2.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All files from this thread

File Name File Size   Posted by Date  
nozzle.jpg 130.8 KB open | download kdc2 06/14/2012 Read message
flow needle.jpg 88.5 KB open | download kdc2 06/14/2012 Read message
flow assy.jpg 40.7 KB open | download kdc2 06/14/2012 Read message
2-56 gringing fixture.jpg 114.8 KB open | download kdc2 06/14/2012 Read message
burner controls.jpg 251.1 KB open | download kdc2 06/15/2012 Read message
CROSSHEAD_PISTON ROD.jpg 149.2 KB open | download kdc2 06/15/2012 Read message