Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Advanced

Locomobile steering knuckles

Posted by IronChief 
Locomobile steering knuckles
March 23, 2012 01:52PM
Just received these back from the foundry the other day. These are for the Locomobile steam carriage I'm piecing together. These were made from the original Locomobile drawings. I haven't started the build yet, still gathering all the parts. These were cast in nodular iron.

-Ron

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2012 01:58PM by IronChief.
Re: Locomobile steering knuckles
March 23, 2012 09:20PM
Cool....

I guess this is a restoration, then? Otherwise, I'd be tempted to get out the arc welder, and turn, weld and grind these together. Castings are neat, but they don't save much work in the one-off projects in my experience.

- Bart

----
Bart Smaalders [smaalders.net]
March 24, 2012 12:07PM
Hi Bart,

I considered that, but it is a rather complex part to fabricate. It would be butt welds subjected to considerble load and shock, and then trying to establish filets with hand grinders and files in areas that are hard to reach. It was just easier and cheaper to have them cast up and now they are one solid piece, no internal voids. Plus they put reinforceing wire in them as well. Nodular iron is tough stuff, what cast I/C crankshafts are made from.

-Ron
March 24, 2012 12:39PM
I think I'd be more into castings if I had more experience and a local foundry smiling smiley. Looks neat; good luck with your project!

- Bart

----
Bart Smaalders [smaalders.net]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login