Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Advanced

For Auction

Posted by Andy Patterson 
Andy Patterson
For Auction
July 18, 2003 11:01AM
Hello

Here is an item some of you might be interested in.

[cgi.ebay.com]

Andy
Caleb Ramsby
Re: For Auction
July 18, 2003 03:00PM
Andy,

Hey, I have one of those! It is identical but for the fact that mine is the First Edition and Ninth printing. I found it at a local used book store for $4.

In the back sleeve there is a large 2 1/2' by about 4' mollier chart, a nice bonus!

Caleb Ramsby
Andy Patterson
July 18, 2003 05:07PM
I have the same book. Thought someone here might need it.

Andy
Caleb Ramsby
July 18, 2003 11:20PM
Yes, that is definatly something that a steam buff would be interested in, very thoughtfull.

Caleb Ramsby
Andy Patterson
July 21, 2003 11:01AM
Here is some more goodies on eBay

[cgi.ebay.com]

[cgi.ebay.com]

This fellow has quite a few steam items up from time to time
Terry Williams
August 01, 2003 09:30AM
It pays to get'em on ebay. See what B&N is charging:

[search.barnesandnoble.com]
Peter Brow
August 02, 2003 03:07AM
And definitely check your local used book stores now and then. I have found all sorts of steam, steam car, and engineering books in local places, including Kent, Marks, "Steamy Dreamer" (about the Baker steam cars), 2 copies of Homans' Self-Propelled Vehicles (1910 & 1902 editions) and one copy of Floyd Clymer's "Steam Car Scrapbook" (another is in the downtown library). Found a 1922 Dyke's "Automobile & Gas Engine Encyclopedia" recently, with several pages about steam cars, including several drawings and diagrams I'd never seen before -- I'd like to see earlier editions!

My Keenan & Keyes book (1969 edition, with one fold-out chart and one tablecloth-sized chart in an envelope in the back) cost me $22 at a local used book store about 6 years ago. Apparently the bookstore owners had some idea what it was worth.

Peter
Mark Stacey
August 02, 2003 05:20PM
It pays to check on www.abebooks.com as well
Automobile Quarterly Volume 4 Nos 1 to 4 went via ebay for $40.00
Volume 1 has Stanley information. Abe books had 14 copies of that issue from $50 to $5.
I bought the $5 copy.
Cheers
Mark Stacey
Tony Madere
September 07, 2003 11:01PM
Is there a company that currently makes and sells steam engines suitable for use in an automobile? Or, a stationary engine suitable for running machinery about 1 to 3 horsepower?
Caleb Ramsby
September 08, 2003 01:48PM
Tony,

Check out [home.primus.com.au]

It is the web site for the Pelland steam engine, 100 horsepower. For cars, boats or such.

For a 1 to 3 horsepower engine there a many options. Check out [steamgazette.com]
It is a post I thread at Steam Gazette, on which I put a post with many links to engine manufactures.

Mike Brown at [home.earthlink.net]
makes both a 1, 3 and 20 horsepower engine. Perfect for stationary aplications.

Happy hunting,

Caleb Ramsby
Dick Vennerbeck
September 21, 2003 08:17PM
Tony,
I have a Semple steam engine casting kit that includes nearly everything you need to build an engine suitable for use in a boat or car. You may try a Google search for s SEMPLE DL 354 to find out a lot more about these engines.
Here is a finished one:
Semple Compound 3" & 5" X 4"

(At left) The SEMPLE DL 354 is a two cylinder compound steam engine in a Vee configuration, The bores of its cylinders are 3" & 5" with a stroke of 4". The engine develops 10 horsepower. Like its smaller cousins (above) the 354 has been around for many years and is rated as one of the most dependable. Its slip eccentric valve gear is actuated by a lever. The cross heads are lubricated by drip oil feeders. The engine is robust, well built and easily maintained. It is priced at $5,750.

Best Regards,
Dick Vennerbeck
Los Gatos California

Acme Steam Dirigible Works Ltd.
Hobby Steam Enthusiast ~ Old books
Stanley Steam Cars ~ Steam Launches
Antique Steam Engines ~ Whistles
Peter Brow
September 22, 2003 06:46AM
Dick,

Is Semple still in business? I got their info folder and prints for their 3x4(?) single back in the '80s. Good practical engine designs. As I recall, they also offered a v-twin single-expansion "special" for automotive use.

Peter
Rolly
September 22, 2003 07:52AM
I talked to Fred and his mother at the Lee’s Mill steamboat meet a week ago and Fred told me he is still making engines but no boilers.
Rolly
Dick Vennerbeck
September 22, 2003 11:10PM
Hi all,
This engine was originally purchased by the famous (notorius) Jim Crank for possible use in a steam automobile or boat......I guess when you have two Dobles in your shop you don't need a Semple! I purchased this engine from the son of a Stanley dealer in San Francisco ( and he was about 79!) I am using a York 3 and 5 x 4 ish in my 27.5 foot launch for the past ten years and would like to find a new home for Fred Semple's masterpiece.

Rolly, I'm glad you got to talk with Fred. He's been in my interests since I first got my reprint of "Steamboats and Modern Steam Launches"more than 15 years ago! This set was cast and sold in the mid sixties. I could check with Jim, but them I'd have to buy him lunch! Guess it's my turn anyway.

Dick Vennerbeck
Jim Crank
September 23, 2003 09:42AM
Dick,
I bought the castings kit from Semple for a boat, then got a nice 09 White engine that I liked a lot better. Also, Ernie Gann, the author, had one in his boat and it was a very good engine until the crank pin snapped off one day in the middle of San Francisco Bay. Seems at the time this was a problem with the engines running at 150 psi. Poor crankshaft castings?
Fortunately for him, we were along side in "Sachem" and towed him home. Then to Fran and now to you. They do travel around.
Lunch is definitely in order.
Jim
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login