Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Advanced

Major Technical Information Available Just Now

Posted by Karl Petersen 
Major Technical Information Available Just Now
April 16, 2010 11:53PM
The "Miscellaneous Technical" portion of the ForuM is really the place for this notice, but I believe every user and SACA member would like to know. The entire range of The Steam Automobile quarterly, all 27 years, are available in pdf form now on the steamautomobile.com site. On the home page, click the blue highlighted "Steam Automobile" and it opens the page showing the front cover of all issues, the issue number, and the table of contents. What is new is that the issue number is a link to the actual pdf copy of the issue.

Full search on the steamautomobile.com site search is open to all at the search box on the home page.

Full search on Google is open to all.

I searched on my name and got 544 hits on steamautomobile.com in both the magazines and the forum, and I am not the biggest hitter, folks.

Try something you have not found before, and be surprised.

All the best,

Karl Petersen
Re: Major Technical Information Available Just Now
April 17, 2010 10:08AM
Karl-Tom,

Now fix it so an entire page fits the screen, not a strip greatly enlarged of the page.

Jim
April 17, 2010 01:12PM
Just zoom out to about 66%. Boy it's been a long time since I've seen these. My copies are 800 miles away. Terry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2010 01:17PM by heavysteamer.
April 18, 2010 02:40AM
Hi All,
From across the pond, I would like to thank the person who spent so much of their time scanning those magazines, and building the pages which we can now all enjoy, its fantastic, so much information, thanks again, all the best, Jeff.
April 18, 2010 09:55AM
Karl Petersen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
I believe
> every user and SACA member would like to know. The
> entire range of The Steam Automobile quarterly,
> all 27 years, are available in pdf form now on the
> steamautomobile.com site.

Karl:

Thanks for your heads-up!

I've already spent 2 hours looking over all the material, and I know I'll spend several more.

I found the references (including photos) to Jim Crank's speed record car; I also found the old reports on the meets I attended, bringing back great memories.

Thanks again.

Bill
April 18, 2010 10:31AM
Karl-Tom,

OK, I tried every trick in the book that I could find and the SACA back issues still come out as greatly enlarged strips, which makes them totally worthless,
Is there some reason they were posted like this? Is there some reason they ALL cannot be posted as one page filling the screen?

Jim
April 18, 2010 12:23PM
There seems to be ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with the way the back issues were scanned nor archived. Certainly not worthless, quite valuable. They open up readily for me and I can read them a full page at a time and scroll readily between pages. I've also had no problems downloading each individual file and searching them. I tested this out on my brand new quad core processor with Windows 7 Pro and my 9 year old Pentium with Win XP and other than a slight difference in access speed, the results were identical. I see nothing for Karl or Tom to repair, would appear to be an issue with an individual computer than the form of the documents from here.

Regards,

Ken
April 18, 2010 02:02PM
I see where Jim is coming from and hope I don't offend anyone by the following observation.

If you just click with the left mouse button the pages are always limited view regardless off what you do with the Adobe reader.
Solution is to click right button and select open in new window then the magazine will open full screen width. I like to rotate into landscape view on my laptop and read it in a size similar to the original.

This is a fantastic resource and is in the right format for sharing. Just amazing it is free to everyone.
Many, many thanks.

Brian
April 18, 2010 02:09PM
Ken,

Learn English. The way this opens is useless NOT the content.
It simply does not work no matter what button or instruction I push. So, there is better and less annoying way to handle this.
BYE, I am out.

Jim
April 18, 2010 03:15PM
I am using adobe reader 9.3 or at least that was the last up date to adobe.
I cannot open them on line I had to save them to a file then open them.
I always use to be able to open a pdf file that I happen to look up on Google
Or elsewhere
I am getting a free down load window over another window that allows you to open the pdf file but when I try to close the free down load window they both close and I am unable to open any pdf file on line no matter where I find it.
April 19, 2010 08:04AM
Thanks so much for putting this online - it is a tremendous resource.

I would like to lobby for changing in the future to the full original scans. The conversion of scanned text into computer text (OCR) has made that text harder to read. The original published formatting is lost, the computer font pushes letters into each other, and text errors creep in. For instance, in volume 3 no. 2, it's a relief when it changes from computer text on page 2 to original scanned text on page 3 - easier to read.

It's unfortunate that the website's use of frames causes the default display of these files to be clipped on the right side. Recapping what others have said, there are 2 different ways to see full pages.

1. When you're on the list of magazines, right-click on the link and choose "Open in New Window" (in Internet Explorer; wording might be slightly different in a different browser.) This just requires 2 clicks instead of 1.

OR

2. Do a normal click on the link to the magazine. You get a view in the center of your monitor that shows the left half of the page. Just above the page view, you should see a little minus sign in a circle. This is "zoom out" . The PDF reader actually does know how much space is available to display the page, so if you click the minus sign once, or maybe twice, the page will reduce to where you can see it all.

Of course option 2 gives you a smaller view. For easiest-to-read text, use option 1 and leave the SACA frame-limited page.

Again, thanks Karl for posting all this information. Having these entire contents at my fingertips from anywhere there's a computer will be invaluable.

Kelly
April 19, 2010 09:32AM
Karl,

Getting all the back issues on line is one very handy reference.
BUT; what reason was there to go to something that only shows a narrow vertical strip? Is it not possible to just use Word or some other common document display program.
Not everyone has all these programs or wants to add them to their computer's program list. I can enlarge them if I use the "zoom out" button; but that only is valid for the one page and only at that time. It also enlarges them so much that the text and the photos disintegrate into a mess.
The computer is a new I-Mac 24, and I sure don't intend to go buy a PC just to see this download.
Just stick with common formats.

Jim
April 19, 2010 09:44AM
I would like to remind everyone:

All of the actual work done by the SACA Board, Officers, Editor, etc., with the exception of the work done by Tom and Jim Laferriere revamping the website, is unpaid. Be nice when you don't like something.

Scott
April 19, 2010 09:51AM
Jim they open in Adobe reader, there all PDF files, it’s a free download [get.adobe.com]
Most computers come with this software installed, but you can download it free from the link I posted.
Rolly
April 19, 2010 11:20AM
Rolly,

Yes, I have this Adobe reader; but it still opens up a PDF file with a greatly enlarged strip down part of the page.
I will not let me place one page of the Newsletters on the screen intact.

Jim
April 19, 2010 11:29AM
Jim at the tool bar top of the page select view and select zoom, then select fit visible, or actual page.
Rolly
April 20, 2010 07:45AM
I reset my computer to backup 30 days there by deleating any new up dates to my computer.
Now I can open all PDF files on line without saving them first. I am not sure it was caused by the last adobe reader 9.3 update or a windows update or some sucurity update.

Rolly
April 20, 2010 09:44AM
Rolly,

I think this is what is causing the problems with this stuff. There is just no toolbar on the top as usual and the issues still open up as only strips. The usual right bottom corner tab to drag the image on this web sight is missing. Looks like the guru needs to visit.
Still say that the content can be most valuable; but when the program just does not work, the whole effort for me is not usable. Wonder why such a trouble prone way to put the scans on the site was used?

Jim
April 20, 2010 01:08PM
Jim
I’m 3000 miles away and not that much of a computer guru. I opened all the programs on my computer this morning and every one had a tool bar at the top of the page.
I personally like files in PDF. There are other programs then Adobe to generate and work with PDF files, I also use PDF converter by Nuance.

I published our SACA-NE newsletter for ten years in a PDF format as it can be E-mailed very easily. Thankfully Mr. Nergaard has taken over the task for the last two years and is doing an exultant job, also sending it out by e-mail in PDF format to our club members.

Attached is an old newsletter from our SACA-NE club. See if it opens any different. Good luck with your computer, I know they can be a headache when thing don’t go the way you want.
Rolly
I hope its not two large to attach
Attachments:
open | download - Newsletter Vol - 9 No - 5.pdf (319.9 KB)
April 20, 2010 02:35PM
Rolly,

Opens perfectly fine on the first click. So, my conclusion is the program itself or the way our back issues were done is at fault.
The data may be fine; but if the program is at fault in the first place and you cannot use it, the thing is useless.
Let the guru figure it out when he gets here.

Jim
April 20, 2010 06:16PM
Jim, Go to the club link page and right click a magazine link. Then go to properties highlight and copy the complete url. Now go to your browser and paste the url. This should give you the full function of ADOBE READER format. What an nice job with the club website. Best regards, Earl My website [steam.netfirms.com]
ben
April 30, 2010 03:56PM
When does the movie come out in color ?? My comp'tr 's been on holliday for a week now,,get'er jump staated w/can of eather,,whatvr,,now I ve got 2 mailboxs at verry least,,and the carbon copy shews up in nither one,,,,The Fairpoint guy in Texas was very helpful,,,I'll look for a good pocketknife to whittle a proper nib,,,Rolly,,,did I leave my coffee over there,,,,Cheers,,Ben
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All files from this thread

File Name File Size   Posted by Date  
Newsletter Vol - 9 No - 5.pdf 319.9 KB open | download Rolly 04/20/2010 Read message