Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Advanced

Noticed that all google links are disabled

Posted by Jeremy Holmes 
Noticed that all google links are disabled
December 04, 2009 10:34PM
Hi All,

If one clicks a link from inside the forum, it will work just fine. However, if the link turns up on a google listing you will get the following, when you click the link.-

"Home > Forums > SteamStuff

Advanced
SteamStuff
Steam related discussions.
Permission denied: links to files in the forum are only allowed from the forum itself.
This forum is powered by Phorum.

Steam Stuff Forum
Permission denied: links to files in the forum are only allowed from the forum itself.

My opinion, is that, this cuts off potental new members on the forum, those who stumble across the forum, thru a google search, from unrelated search topic, now they get an "Permission denied: links to files in the forum are only allowed from the forum itself. message." trust me as im doing my searches, and run across something like that, I just skip it and move on to the next link, never thinking twice about it.

Best regards

Jeremy

-edit- changed title a little
-edit 2- deleted some text-

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2009 09:06PM by Jeremy Holmes.
Re: Noticed that all google links are disabled, I think this is a huge mistake
December 05, 2009 12:47AM
Hi,

Many was the time, late at night, when searching for something steam related on the web that was getting just impossible to find that I was redirected back to the Phorum, often to my own stuff.

Then it was time to go to bed.

Best, ---- Bill G.
Re: Noticed that all google links are disabled, I think this is a huge mistake
December 05, 2009 12:58AM
Hi All,

External links to files are problematic. There are two reasons for this...

1) The files are stored in the database as a record, not as a file on disk. To access a file in the database requires information stored elsewhere in the database that the message board software knows how to locate.

2) Every call to the Phorum software must happen from the proper directory, and call the correct files in the correct order. Any response except a permission denied requires access permissions (thru the software).

Best,
Scott Finegan
Re: Noticed that all google links are disabled
December 05, 2009 02:31PM
Hi Scott,

Interesting, I assumed this was configuration setting from the ADMIN control panel. Ive been working with my own forum (its bbphp) and noticed those type configuration settings from my ADMIN control panel. Thats why I thought it was coming from you. Also, the forum software that im working with supplys an FAQ section when the board is installed, this pretty much covers all functionality issues. I visited the forum 5 website, did not see than (faq section) , I considered using that software myself.

Jeremy
December 05, 2009 03:09PM
Jeremy,

I will take a look at the admin settings, there are many of them. Some of the settings I took the default at the upgrade last March. Still creates security issues.

We looked at phpbb some years ago, the few votes I rec'd were to stick with Phorum. Phorum hasn't been hacked as much as the other flavors (the last time I investigated thoroughly). They also don't do threaded messages as far as I can tell.

We started with Phorum, migrating messages to another message board is not straight forward unless someone provides a script for the exact version you are using.

Best,
Scott Finegan
December 05, 2009 04:14PM
Hi Scott,

I dont want to imply that the Phorum software has any inherent defects. Quite frankly the phpBB is not that user friendly in my opinion, however, they do have a nice selection of forum templates, and advanced functionality, so the forum look and function can be customised. My hosting for the domain that im managing is at 8 bucks a month, they have a board installation control panel, so the board is technically installed by the hosting company, I used there phone tech support the last time I was having some difficulties, it was a saturday night a couple weeks back at like 10pm. Also, 24/7 data back up, is included and site-lock, plus STMP email, I edit the home page and other pages using Ms_frontpage.

best

Jeremy

-edit-

12/10/09 I noticed today that the external links are working again,

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2009 03:35PM by Jeremy Holmes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login