Land Speed Record Car - Daily Up-Dates
July 28, 2009 06:44AM
Hi All,

You can now read daily up-dates on the cars progress at.... [www.steamcar.net]

All the best, Jeff.
Re: Land Speed Record Car - Daily Up-Dates
August 08, 2009 02:34AM
Hi All,

The car made a test run at 131 mph yesterday, check out here for more information... [www.steamcar.net]

All the best, Jeff.
August 11, 2009 04:32PM
Good,

The 131 mph looks impressive. Now 200 mph is just 3.6 times the HP to the wheels away.

Wish them well,

Bill G.
August 25, 2009 04:55PM
Hi All,

They've done it, congartulations to all the team from all here at The Steam Car Club of Great Britain.

The car peaked at 136.103mph on the first run and 151.085mph on the return run, The average over the measured mile of both runs was 139.843mph!!!

Well done, Jeff. [www.steamcar.net]
August 26, 2009 08:50AM
Hey-

Congrats to the Brits--they've done it!! Lots of hard work,sweat-and in conditions of really high temperatures for the crew-along with quite a few $$$s, all finally coming together at the right time--Well Done!!

Does anyone know if they're continuing their attempt in order to up their record--or is this record the one that will stand??

Cheers---Chuk
August 26, 2009 04:08PM
Chuk,

They broke the record again today at 148mph. No additional details are posted yet. I presume they could do more runs if weather is good and nothing major breaks.

Graeme
August 26, 2009 04:08PM
Hi All

They've done it again! today's two way run, FIA timed, averaged over 148mph!!

I will post more details as soon as I have them, all the best, Jeff.
August 28, 2009 07:53AM
Jeff-

So--we haven't heard a word in the past 2 days--what's the latest news? Has the 148 mph record been verified? Is the crew continuing on their quest for the 170 mph record?
Good Luck to the crew-towards their continued success!! Well Done!!

Chuk
August 29, 2009 02:17AM
Hi Chuk,

The team have run out of time to go any further, the car was still running with nothing broken, but having set five FIA verified new records the crew and car are now on their way home, for all the latest news, check out...... [www.steamcar.net] all the best, Jeff.
August 30, 2009 10:55AM
Well!!

It looks like they did everything they set out to do!! Going home with five new records---quite an accomplishment!!

Again---Congrats to the Team!!

Chuk
August 31, 2009 03:48AM
The British Steam Car Challenge people (BSCC) seem to believe that the Stanley Steamer 1906 record of 128 MPH was the previous steam car speed record to beat.
[news.bbc.co.uk]
-
And Popular Science claims 127 MPH:
"The official recorded speed averaged from the two latest runs (BSCC) breaks the previous steam car record of 127 mph set by Fred Marriott in 1906"
[www.popsci.com]
-
Their (BSCC) new average speed for both run was ~140 MPH so they are claiming victory.
BUT WAIT A MINUTE: Didn't an Australian gentleman run an official 147 or 149 MPH a decade or two back using the steam turbine engine from the California steam bus project? Where can I find evidence of this? I need proof before I officially start spouting off. GOOGLE hasn't helped. Can anyone, or is my memory failing me?
-
John Féhn in Budapest

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2009 03:53AM by john fehn.
August 31, 2009 07:32AM
John,

To the best of my knowledge, the other "records" weren't sanctioned, a return trip in the opposite direction within one hour is required. The British team acknowleges, and mentions Barber-Nichols (think I have this correct) in their postings.

It would appear I am wrong, and happily defer to Jim Crank. (see below)

Best,
Scott Finegan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2009 07:18PM by Scott Finegan.
September 01, 2009 09:51AM
John,

The car you are asking about is the one I built and was sponsored by Fiberfab.. It was well documented in the SACA Newslatters about 1985 when it did indeed set the record at 145 point something. The turbine and steam generator did come from the Lear hardware that I was able to buy after that operation closed down.

Bob Barber's record was the average of runs in both directions within the hour specified.
The USAC timing then used was accepted as official, the Brits have constantly tried to give the impression that it was not good enough to be used and his run was only in one direction. WRONG. As Bob said: "On the return run one door blew off and the car caught fire."
The record with our car lasted some 24 years, long enough.

Whatever, it really doesn't matter. A record and $2.00 will buy you a cup of coffee, otherwise it is only something to brag about.
At any rate, my congratulations for a successful run.

Seems to me that two years ago, there was some puffing and blowing about building another recored contender in the U. S. A. that could go about 175 mph. Was this for real or just more hot air?

Jim
September 01, 2009 11:07AM
Hi Jim,

Glad to see you posting again.

I hope they did alot of filming there at Edwards, I would love to see a documentary on there endeaver.

Best to all

Jeremy
September 01, 2009 07:19PM
Glad to see you back Jim.

Best,
Scott Finegan
September 02, 2009 10:19AM
Thanks Scott, good to be here to post!!
September 02, 2009 06:47PM
HI Jim

Does your car still exist?

Can it be visited?

any good photos or video of it on the web?

Doug
September 02, 2009 07:44PM
[www.steamautomobile.com]

[www.steamcar.co.uk]

[machinedesign.com]

[www.oiccam.com]

Now there was one other picture that I remember, a new user had found it, it was back about a year ago. Cant find it now, if I stumble across it I will post a link to it. Back during the conversation, I remember Jim remarking about how the British team had good tires on there car. This is all I can think of Doug.

Best

Jeremy
September 02, 2009 08:24PM
Thanks for the details.

I hadn't known about the Steamin' Demon until today.
September 03, 2009 10:39AM
Doug,

The car still exists and is at the Harrah Collection in Reno, Nevada. The turbine wheel is on my desk.
Karl Petersen has a bunch of photos taken, from the looks of it, at Muroc Dry Lake during a test session the year before we went to Bonneville the first time. It was timed, I was told, at a bit over 155 mph.

The above posts.
www.steamcar.co.uk/challange/barber-nichols.hmtl is absolute nonsense. Nothing happened as they say, deliberately, I think.
Machine Design has the pressure and temperature backwards.
The stuff apparently from the Harrah Museum is also wrong. The run by Bob Barber was in both directions.

The race car pictured above is Lear's so called Indy car. It never ran once I was told.

Jim
September 03, 2009 03:02PM
hi Jim and Jeremy

Thanks for all the details.

Ok I think I have this straight. About a hundred years ago, the Stanleys and Fred Marrriot set a steam land speed record with an 18 foot long upside-down canoe, twin cylinder motor, and a 1600 psi boiler. The record is about 127 mph.

Then about 30 years ago you two guys are responsible for a steam car that goes about 145 mph. Then some high brow people come along and dismiss that because it wasn't measured by the French group, FIA-Federation Internationale de L’Automobile.

Then along come the British with their "British Car Challenge" and after 10 years and a gazillion Quid ( British pound sterling (£)) get their car to the officially measured ( by the Federation Internationale de L’Automobile) 148 mph and
broke a 30 year old record by 3 mph.

I wonder what the Stanley Rocket could have done with slightly larger tires, a couple fairings, smooth wheels, and some airfoils to help keep it on the ground.
September 03, 2009 03:32PM
Hi Doug,

There has been some talk about assembling an LSR car by SACA members. Nothings come out of it, but may at some point in the future, who knows.

Im 37 yo, so you can imagion that I was still in diapers as Jim was doing some of these things.

I really think that it took alot of blood, sweat and tears to do what The Brits have done, for that reason alone, I think what they have done is pretty special, and offer my congrat's.... Its there turn to be in the spot light, they worked hard for that.

Best

Jeremy
September 03, 2009 03:34PM
Doug-Ji
I wonder what the Stanley Rocket could have done with slightly larger tires, a couple fairings, smooth wheels, and some airfoils to help keep it on the ground.

Amidst all the musings about fast steam cars, I submit this link:

[www.youtube.com]

--it's not quite the same, but what the heck--it's steam powered and it's a car!

Bill
September 03, 2009 04:40PM
Doug,

For the sake of preserving history, I think the improved Stanley would have done about 144.999 mph.

Graeme
September 03, 2009 05:00PM
Hey

Thanks for the video link Bill. Loved it.
Jeremy, I am 44 and live 7 hours north of the Bonneville Salt Flats.
Graeme, I agree.

So let's lift a pint for our British cousins and perhaps make some schemes on monday.

Doug
September 03, 2009 06:19PM
Doug-Ji
Thanks for the video link Bill. Loved it.

Doug

It was posted as a "tongue in cheek" topic--I hope all observers recognize this.

Another goal however was to open the subject of the Stanley record car. Just as in the steam rocket car, the Stanley "Rocket" stored a huge amount of energy in a large water-tube boiler, and the contents were preheated over a considerable period of time prior to actually operating the vehicle.

I'm not sure the non-steam guys would recognize this at Bonneville; it might be a way to get a project up to considerable speed with pre- and concurrently-heated steam to power the vehicle to speeds otherwise unobtainable.

Old technology applied to bend modern rules?

Bill
September 03, 2009 06:52PM
Hi Bill,

"It was posted as a "tongue in cheek" topic--I hope all observers recognize this. -Bill Hinote"

LOL, somehow this makes me think of "Bell Nozzle Efficiency" at sea-level. In any event, im going to add a link to one of Andy P.'s PDF's, Just to keep things in good spirits...

[www.steamautomobile.com]

Doug, as long as that pint is somewhere around 40°f Cheer's

Best

Jeremy
September 03, 2009 07:27PM
The best available analysis of the Stanleys' harrowing failed 1907 effort to beat the 127.66mph of 1906 record indicates that the car was traveling about 150 mph when it left the ground. I wonder if a present-day reproduction of 1907 technology, with a few tweaks based on 100 more years of operating & maintaining Stanleys, would give the record a run for the money and cost many less $? I think people are building beautiful 30hp Stanleys these days for under $200,000. An approach like this would really fire people's imaginations - well, mine, anyway.

Kelly
September 03, 2009 07:57PM
If all of you very carefully read the accurate data about the Stanley racer, the facts become as clear as it is possible some 102 years later. Coburn Benson and George Nutz did as accurate an analysis of the car one can do. Someone ought to read all this again and write the story as best as we can today. If for no other reason then to put an end to the silly speculation about the Stanley car. The facts are known.

The fire tube boiler had a four venturi burner, and with that diameter had an enormous reserve that Fred used. 1300 psi.
The bottom was flat and when Fred hit those bumps in the sand, what with no shocks on the axles, the front was tossed up. it tried to fly.
It didn't actually leave the ground, only the front wheels did; but when they came down, it went out of control and that was that.

The engine was not the special race engine they built; but a stock 30 hp passenger car engine. The race engine broke on an earlier run.
Stanley measured the distance personally from the starting line to the point where the front wheels left the ground. Using his stopwatch timing he calculated a hair over 150 mph.
With better aerodynamics and the same powerplant, maybe changing the gearing from 1- 1.75 to 1-2, it would not be surprising if the car could co 175 mph.

Now, consider using one of the new Doble F engines, a high fired monotube with a draft booster and the right gearing. Over 200 could be in the cards.
You are allowed to push start the car, so really tall gearing is not a problem.

Jim
September 03, 2009 09:22PM
Jim
I’m glad to see your back on line and out of the hospital.
I have documented some of Coburn’s memory of the Rocket as well as information from Kit Foster’s book.
George still has his analysis of the engine and boiler performance.
Attached is a PDF drawing I did of the Rocket, with the help from Coburn, and all information I had available. The drawing depicts the 1907 rear end with the outside wheel brakes. In 1906 it only used the inside bands on the differential
The record run in 1906 only used a pressure of 800 to 900 PSI in 1907 they went to 1300 PSI. See the notes on my drawing.
Attachments:
open | download - Stanley 06.pdf (37.5 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All files from this thread

File Name File Size   Posted by Date  
Stanley 06.pdf 37.5 KB open | download Rolly 09/03/2009 Read message
Nergaard piston valve blocks.JPG 105.3 KB open | download Rolly 09/05/2009 Read message
Bryan cylinder block.jpg 42.7 KB open | download Rolly 09/05/2009 Read message
Cover photo.jpg 141 KB open | download Rolly 09/07/2009 Read message