Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Advanced

A Members Perspective

Posted by Jeremy Holmes 
A Members Perspective
August 30, 2008 01:57AM
I have just received my most recent, 'Steam Automoble Bulletin'. Im a club member, very impressed.

Also, I have received the SACA pin, that was sent, back about a month or so ago. Pretty happy with it.

I have attached 3 pic's

Enjoy

Jeremy

-edit- adding a picture

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2009 07:46PM by Jeremy Holmes.

Re: A Members Perspective
December 21, 2009 10:39PM
Hi Karl,

Great job on the bulletin. I noticed in the current issue, page 13 of VOLUME 24, NUMBER 1 JANUARY - FEBRUARY 2010. Your mention of the XCOR competition.

I can tell you there was a solicitation for the competion posted here, on the (SACA) Discussion Group as a thread, unfortunitly there have been a couple incidents over the years, where some threads have been lost. I remember the XCOR thread, but cannot find it, no matter how i search for the thread, seems to me the thread was posted here around 5 years ago maybe less, im not sure.

Also your search function (google) on the home page does work good, its how I found this thread here, the forums search function could not find this thread...

Anyway, I knew the this thread, existed, thats how I found it, luckely it still exists here on the forum database, over the years some threads have been lost, I suspect the XCOR solicitation thread was lost at some point.

This is the only remnant that I can find from it-

[www.steamautomobile.com]

Again, good job on the Bulletin, keep up the great work.

Jeremy
December 21, 2009 10:55PM
Holy Carp!!!

Low and Behold heres the actuall solicitation, made here on this forum,

[www.steamautomobile.com]

Its just one of those things, that caused me to remember, the original thread, as I read my copy of the bulletin today.

I feel soo-much better... so the thread was not lost after-all... The original XCOR link doesnt work, but what the hell, I found what I was looking for drinking smiley

best

Jeremy
December 23, 2009 03:01PM
Ah, that's nice. A kiwi sent it in! At least I know now that "we" knew about the competition, but it surely missed my eyes. I wasn't reading the Forum much then.

I have tracked down the winner and am sending him a copy of the issue with the articles on the XCOR competition and the similar General Electric engine.

All the best,

Karl Petersen
December 23, 2009 03:19PM
The xcor link is 404
December 23, 2009 09:25PM
December 24, 2009 05:06PM
Thanks for running the update on this in the Bulletin, Karl.

I remember seeing the solicitation here, looking up the requirements, and doing some calculations. Well beyond the ordinary hobbyist level, very tricky design & fabrication job to meet the weight, size, and performance requirements, at least for me at the time. Even I would have gone with turbomachinery there, or redesigned the propulsion system around a somewhat larger and heavier component -- which, however, might have been cheaper and more durable as well. Kudos to the winner of this competition, well done indeed. Very advanced stuff.

Peter
December 28, 2009 03:55PM
Hi Karl;

I certainly have no complaints about your editing of the bulletin. You did a better job integrating the illustrations into my 'Rotary Boilers' article than I expected; so my kudos. Keep up the good work!

Regards,

Ken
May 19, 2010 09:11PM
Hi All,

I must say that ive had a great time on the forum today...

Im on eastern time, anyway before Jim's post at around 5pm today, I was looking to find and old topic comment to it and bring it to the front.

Nevertheless, I could not find one. So right at 5 as I was shutting down machines at work, I saw Jim's post and chuckled at the remark about the "thought of the day"

Which brings me as to the revelation as to why I choose this topic.

I spent about a good 20 minuites, yesterday, studying the latest issue of the Bulletin, that I received in the mail the other day.

I was VERY impressed with Karl P's. article on- "XCOR Prize - The Real Story"
I especially like the remark from Mark S. about "SI challenged" : )

Also, I remember Jim speaking about doing an article about "The White Flowmotor Control System" also VERY informative.

I think Karl P. is doing a great job with the Bulletin...

Jeremy
May 19, 2010 09:19PM
Darn it,

I forgot to reference the latest bulletin, (2nd) on the XCOR Prize, im speaking about, it is-

VOLUME 24, NUMBER 3 MAY - JUNE, 2010

I think I received it monday, this week.

Jeremy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All files from this thread

File Name File Size   Posted by Date  
083008-01.jpg 61.6 KB open | download Jeremy Holmes 08/30/2008 Read message
083008-02.jpg 49.6 KB open | download Jeremy Holmes 08/30/2008 Read message
083008-03.jpg 76.7 KB open | download Jeremy Holmes 08/30/2008 Read message
052509a.jpg 395 KB open | download Jeremy Holmes 05/25/2009 Read message